Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vandalism of Birkby War Memorial

ianw

There are so many copies of the names from the memorial and the original inscriptions in existence that making new copies should not be a problem. I have a copy of all these myself.

Tony.

Lets hope that they can replicate those bits that are beyond repair and the memorial is repaired to its former state. Any news if the sad criminals who did this in the first place have been apprehended???

Andy

• 2 months later...

Great news the vandalised memorial will be re-dedicated this Sunday after full restoration. the cost of the repairs was £5000, an 89 year old local resident who was there at the origional dedication in 1921 will be giving a speech along with the British Legion, the Mayor and a local band. The dedication will be at 3pm.

John

Great news the vandalised memorial will be re-dedicated this Sunday after full restoration. the cost of the repairs was £5000, an 89 year old local resident who was there at the origional dedication in 1921 will be giving a speech along with the British Legion, the Mayor and a local band. The dedication will be at 3pm.

John

Great news, how did things go at the ceremony John?

It's nice to see some councils and individuals care and respect the memory contained within these memorials.

Great news, how did things go at the ceremony John?

It's nice to see some councils and individuals care and respect the memory contained within these memorials.

Sorry for the misunderstanding its this Sunday the third of April.

John

:ph34r: Sadly this is a sign of the times NO RESPECT i work as a undertaker and in graveyards we see it all the time vandals will damage anything just for the kick, I recall some years ago in Glasgow (80s i think ) during remembrance week in George Square a young student girl stole a tommy helmet and cross in the garden of remembrance ( a temp one that is there every year) from what i recall she said she was drunk and did it for a laugh , The judge said well laugh this of £2,000 fine and 12 month suspended sentance , The student union was involved and offered to pay the fine but the uni said no because she is no longer a student they had kicked her out that day, That is the jist of of it which i do recall some but not all the story .

Dan

The service was attended by several hundred people. Mrs N England gave a speech about the first dedication that took place on the 2nd of April 1921.

post-1239-1112542960.jpg

• 2 months later...

Long story short the police were called all 5 were rounded up within an hour or two and were duly prosecuted.I believe they were fined 100 pounds each and got 1 years probation.

The local Parish persued the parents through the courts and gained judgement against them.I believe the bill for repairs was about 40,000 they relentlessly went after the parents and collected every single penny.

:ph34r: , The judge said well laugh this of £2,000 fine and 12 month suspended sentance , The student union was involved and offered to pay the fine but the uni said no because she is no longer a student they had kicked her out that day,

This might be an old thread but only just read it ! What a change to see 2 decent results from those in authority. Congratulations to both the Parish Council and the Judge ! If word of this got around it might make some louts think again

Patrick

Unfortunately the vandalising of war memorials is nothing new. My local memorial, some seventy feet high, incorporates a Chamber of Silence, inside of which is a memorial book. This used to be open for the public to inspect, but was closed because on two occassions, pages had been torn from the book. The date - 1959! The Chamber is now only open on Remembrance Sunday. Sadly, in recent years, the outside of the memorial has also been subject to graffiti attacks which has caused much public outcry.

Terry Reeves