Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beaumont-Hamel, Sunken Lane.

Jockbhoy67

Just came back from the Somme yesterday. While visiting the Sunken Lane we walked up to see the little Memorial to the Lancashire Fusiliers placed last year on July 1st and discovered it's been knocked over and broken...looks as if it may be deliberate, as if it's been knocked over and then had something dropped onto it. Anyone have any idea how long it's been broken, looks fairly recent.

sunken lane.jpg

I may be wrong on this, as it's been some years since being at the location of the Sunken Lane. But to say this is still used or was by local farmers as a route. Not often, but used at times of the year.

If there's a two wheeled track still there then It's still being used I would think, and may have caused the damage along with any farm workers.

Or am I being naive..

I hope I am..

G.K. 

7 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

It doesn't matter.

Their Glory Shall Not Be Blotted Out.

No it will not.

But I would like to think this was an accident, and not Vandals.

In Hope.

I visited the lane twice last year and by what I remember of the memorial it was tucked well in to the bank well out of the way so I cannot beleive this was accidental damage. As from a previous response I also shake my head in disbelief.

I was there last week and it would appear that the track is still used. However that does not implicate anyone in causing the damage.

Could be accidental - if someone were climbing the embankment it would be possible to fall back and tread on the memorial. Doesn't look as if something has driven over it.