Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Seaforth Highlander, Captain G C M Miller 8th & 9th Bn

Hindoo Stan

I need help please to find something out about this soldier who may have a connection to my grandfather great war service. Do any members have more information about him.

Hi Hindoo Stan,

More information than what? It would help to know what you know..

Mike

Hmmm? So info on

Seaforth Highlander, Captain G C M Miller 8th & 9th Bn

and your sub detail says

In remembrance of my grandfather Pte. Fred PETTY, 307020 of 'A' Co. 2/7th battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment) who later served in the 29th Durham Light Infantry

is that what you seek?

without going into more detail yet - or anything on a permanent basis!

from forces-war-records

First Name Surname Service Number icon-question-mark.png Rank Record Year Unit  
  G C M Miller   Temporary Lieutenant 1917 Seaforth Highlanders View G C M Miller's record
  G C M Miller   Temporary Major 1920 General List View G C M Miller's record
  G C M Miller   Temporary Lieutenant 1915 General List View G C M Miller's record
  G C M Miller   Temporary Major 1920 Commands And Staff View G C M Miller's record
  G C M Miller   Temporary Lieutenant 1916 Seaforth Highlanders View G C M Miller's record
  G C M Miller   Temporary Lieutenant 1919 Seaforth Highlanders View G C M Miller's record
  G C M Miller   Temporary Captain 1915 War Office View G C M Miller's record
  G C M Miller   Temporary Major 1920 Commands And Staff View G C M Miller's record

from the above I suspect numerous Gazette records

and potentially

First Name: F
Surname: Petty
Index Number of Admission: 12699
Service Number: 2831
Years Service: 9 months
Months With Field Force: 3 months
Ailment: Gun shot wound, Arm left
Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 17/07/1915
Date Transferred to Sick Convoy: 23/07/1915
Number of Days Under Treatment: 7
Number/Designation of Ward: Quar
Notes written in the Observations Column: Hospital Ship Carisbrook Castle
Religion: Wesleyan
Notes written by FWR when Transcribing: Transferred from No 10 Ambulance Train.
Regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
Battalion: 7th Battalion (Why is this important?)
Other unit info: B Company
Archive Reference: MH106/902 MH106/902 can be found at The National Archives in Kew, and contains First World War Representative Medical Records of No. 2 General Hospital: 14/07/1915 to 17/07/1915. British Other Ranks. No. 2 General Hospital at LE HAVRE Ser: 2320-2367 and Transfers Ser: 12212-12882.
Edited by jonbem

Google pulls up a few hits..

A link to a 8th Btn Group photo which he is in.

http://www.ukphotoarchive.org.uk/p436541541/h81F453A4

And his Medals being sold in 1999...a mention of 2 MIDs

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Medals&lot_id=44623

From the Times daily wound list 11th Sept 1916.

Screenshot_20170507-091430.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Sorry to be so vague. Firstly thanks jonbem for the forces war records links. The F Petty you found is not my grandfather who was in the West Riding Regiment (Dukes) and was not on active service until 1917.  Thanks Holymoley - the Seaforth group photo's may well be of help.

I have to confess i have done a lot of research into Fred Petty and G W M Miller (Royal Scots), Fred being batman to Captain Miller. In attempting to trace Fred's war record it was really useful to have been able to link him to G W M Miller who, being an officer was much easier to research. As part of my searches however I constantly came across G W M Miller's near namesake G C M Miller of the Seaforths but I never gave it much further thought.

Then a photo appeared on ebay.

A Scots officer in trews. The facial likeness to a verified photo of GWM was remarkable and the rank, MC and wound tallied. So I asked members on this forum about the badge, uniform and tartan. The concensus was for Seaforth Highlander and not Royal Scot.

So now I'm off on a tangent wondering if there is a familial link between the two Millers and the possibility of identifying the officer in the photo. It would help if someone has G C M full forenames, whether he was awarded an MC and a good likeness image.

Hope someone can help.

Edited by Hindoo Stan
clarity

1 hour ago, Hindoo Stan said:

Sorry to be so vague. Firstly thanks jonbem for the forces war records links. The F Petty you found is not my grandfather who was in the West Riding Regiment (Dukes) and was not on active service until 1917.  Thanks Holymoley - the Seaforth group photo's may well be of help.

I have to confess i have done a lot of research into Fred Petty and G W M Miller (Royal Scots), Fred being batman to Captain Miller. In attempting to trace Fred's war record it was really useful to have been able to link him to G W M Miller who, being an officer was much easier to research. As part of my searches however I constantly came across G W M Miller's near namesake G C M Miller of the Seaforths but I never gave it much further thought.

Then a photo appeared on ebay.

A Scots officer in trews. The facial likeness to a verified photo of GWM was remarkable and the rank, MC and wound tallied. So I asked members on this forum about the badge, uniform and tartan. The concensus was for Seaforth Highlander and not Royal Scot.

So now I'm off on a tangent wondering if there is a familial link between the two Millers and the possibility of identifying the officer in the photo. It would help if someone has G C M full forenames, whether he was awarded an MC and a good likeness image.

Hope someone can help.

Gerald Charles Marillier Miller according to a MIC record on Ancestry.

Regards

Andy

Screenshot_20170508-214311.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thanks Andy. Much appreciated.

• 1 year later...

G C M Miller was English born and educated at Glenalmond.  I'm not aware of a link to G W M Miller.  His routes were in East Anglia.  Tto he MIC says hs served with 9th Seaforths, so I'm trying to learn more of his service with 8th as shown in the photo.  I can't find the W Diary for 9th.

Interesting Link and photo

Name: Miller, Gerrard Charles Marillier
Born: York 26/05/1892
Enlisted: 07/08/1914
Regiment: 9th Seaforce Highlanders (Pioneers), 28th Bd HQ afterwards 3rd ?????, 9th Dir HQ
Service: France (1915-18)
Decorations: Mentioned in despatches – 24/5/1917, 16/3/1919, 28/8/1919
Wounded: Accidentally – Bois-de-la-Haie (7/7/1916), Vimy Ridge (30/8/1916)

I'm going to NA at Kew and can't find Gerrard's File Reference.  I can see he served after 1919, so it's possibly his file is with MOD.  I couldn't see it in their lists though.

Any clues from NA experts?