Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hull - Rotterdam ferry

John_Hartley

Our usual ferry route for  the battlefields is Dover/Calais, usually stopping the night before in Dover. Next trip we're wondering about using Hull-Rotterdam, with the intention of tacking on a few days in Amsterdam. Anyone care to share their experiences of that route, please?

TIA

John

We have done Hull-Zeebrugge and Harwich-Hook of Holland (which is almost Rotterdam).

From where you and I live, the drive to Hull along the M62 can be a trial. We quite enjoyed Hull-Zeebrugge, though I get seasick and I was very unwell on the outward crossing. Guessing that you won't be planning spending the evening in the bar, there isn't much to do on the boat. The food is ok but rather mass-catering. If the crossing to Rotterdam is on similar boats to Zeebrugge, you need to book a decent quality of cabin for space. 

The boats from Harwich to Hook of Holland are very pleasant. The cabins are good and the restaurant is good quality. An afternoon crossing arriving back in the UK at 19.30h is good value; we book a cabin with sitting area so we can relax.

Rotterdam has a lot to recommend it. We like a stopover at Numansdorp Opus One which has a lovely owner, fabulous rooms, a high quality breakfast and secure parking. It's 45 minutes from Hook of Holland port, 20 minutes from Rotterdam. From Numansdorp you can venture around the atmospheric waterways to Willemsdorp, where there are lots of good restaurants including on the waterfront. This is a lovely area,

There are very good roads south to Belgium. However, this is a very congested part of Europe. You might need to check what the situation is around Antwerp: last time we went past there were roadworks causing delays.  Antwerp itself is wonderful. We stay at the Antwerp Hilton in the city centre, from where you can walk to some super restaurants and cultural attractions.

I haven't been to Amsterdam;  it's on the list. My spouse has, for business. He says I need  to visit.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

we did Hull - Zeebrugge last year on way to Lens, instead of going direct we tried to go via Dunkirk for stop offs and viewings, was pretty 5hiity awful due to roadworks, but hopefully sorted now. Coming back on the main roads were fine.

Stopped for lunch on the border at Terminus http://www.restaurantterminus.be/, to refuel us with food and the car.

Very good food, but you need your school French to help with menu and ordering. It gets very busy so if not booked be early or late.

Edited by jonbem

On 06/05/2017 at 22:53, Dragon said:

He says I need  to visit.

You do. I've been twice over the years. Mrs H used to visit much more often for work (the company's head office being in The Hague) - although she rarely had time for touristing. Next trip is specifically art gallery related - there is, I understand, something of an "art district".

Thanks to you and jonbem for the ferry advice.