Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auberge restaurant Authille location

EAST YORKSHIRE

Hello all, I am staying on the Somme next week and fancy a change from Albert eateries, I quite fancy  the Auberge in Authille , can anyone tell me if it is still open as I have been caught out before relying on web information. Thanks, Ian.

Yes, the Auberge de la Vallee d'Ancre is open and I thoroughly recommend it. You will need to book if you want to eat on a Saturday evening or Sunday lunchtime. It is closed Sunday and Wednesday evenings and all day Monday,

Bob

They don't do online or e-mail bookings - you'll have to 'phone them to reserve a table.

Be aware that the Auberge isn't open every evening at the beginning of the week - it is closed on Sunday, Monday and Weds evenings.

I have dropped in during the morning to successfully book a table for the same evening, though it does get busy so short-notice success isn't a certainty. The owner and staff are charming and far more accommodating than their slightly forbidding website would indicate.

I probably shouldn't dwell on this, but I am a slight dissenter from the more general opinion on the forum regarding the Auberge. I find the style of cuisine rather leaden, caught in a time-warp which dates from somewhere around the mid-eighties, and which was popular in the UK at about that time amongst more chi-chi provincial restaurants. There are rather too many elaborate but slightly tired pre-prepared sauces for example, and should you order a gin and tonic aperitif do be sure to ask them not to include the horrid cocktail sugar coating around the rim of the glass. Having said that, you won't get a bad meal there, just one that might be slightly formulaic and 'retro', the staff and friendly, the place is bright and airy, the clientele are clearly happy (and often British) for there is a good buzz about the place, and the location is rather pretty. As far as I have been able to establish, it is also by far and away the best dinner venue on the old Somme battlefield.

Now where's my (tin) hat?

Edited by horrocks

I did manage to book a table last Thursday, I made a few answer phone messages in Franglais but they did ring me back a couple of days later when they must have been open. The food was very nice and pretty cheap at 25 euros for a starter, main, about 25 different cheeses to choose from and a dessert. Being a tight Yorkshireman I nearly passed out when I saw the wine list (some were 600 euros) but there were 22 euro upwards reds and whites. Like other posters have said-it takes a lot of beating around them parts. Also everything is in French so adds to the authentic French dining experience. Lovely setting next to the Ancre river and peacocks roaming freely. Give yourself 2-3 hours from getting there to leaving as we had a taxi booked.  Ian.