Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hartlepool - Civilian dead and War Memorial

Steve20y

Hi, can anybody direct me to a complete and comprehensive list of civilians, soldiers and sailors who were killed or subsequently died as a direct result of the German naval bombardment of Hartlepool on 16 December 1914. Also the same direction please for photographs of the main Hartlepool War Memorial

Hi Steve,

I don't know about being complete and comprehensive but there is this from the Newcastle Daily Journal of 18th December 1914. It might be worth looking in subsequent editions to see if further names are mentioned.

Hartlepool.jpg.535689172947f3700b5a282df4fed11d.jpg

Regards

Chris

bit of info here

http://www.thisishartlepool.co.uk/attractions/victorysquare.asp

may lead to more?

And a list here

http://www.ww1-yorkshires.org.uk/html-files/west-hartlepool.htm

Edited by jonbem

I just searched "Hartlepool War Memorial" on Google, then went to images, and then the pages linked to images

it's a search trick that can often find more than just text searches as people index things differently for images

The Bombardment of the Hartlepool's has been researched many times before 

I understand several books have been written on the subject

Here is a list of the casualties

Not forgetting that many died long after of injury's sustained during the bombardment 

Ray

A search of this forum should bring up a few threads on the subject

• 3 months later...

One problem is that the total seems to keep differing based on research, the curator of the Museum of Hartlepool keeps finding new possible leads for casualties, but the 2014 memorial (not 2016) list of names was compiled by himself based on his latest information at the time. I was at the unveiling, it's a very nice memorial, the memorial, original memorial, Heugh Battery etc are worth a visit, especially by train as West Hartlepool station still shows the repair work where a German shell smacked through it in 1914

I am From Hartlepool and just for Interest have posted the Headstone of Theo Jones DLI, Killed during the Bombardment in Dec, I also photographs of two. RA soldiers and One Sailor. 

59b05617c1880_TheoJones.jpg.be2b106d1ac93931b056e0157d83e8c0.jpg