The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Basil Murton, Coldstream Guards. Died 1920

Mark Crame

Hi, I'm looking for information on behalf of my brother in relation to the following CWGC headstone in his parish church at Stockton in Norfolk. CWGC info below, nothing in the MIC's and have no access to SDGW or Ancestry etc. Would really appreciate any information you may be able to supply for me please as apparently they wish to commemorate him. 

28345 Guardsman Basil Murton, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards

Died aged 19 on 6th March 1920. Buried at St Michael’s Churchyard, Stockton, Norfolk

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Regards

Mark

Edited by Mark Crame

Hi,

Coldstreamer (Ian) is the resident forum CG expert so I'm sure he will be along later in the day.

From his regimental number I would suggest Gdsn Murton was unlikely to have reached 2nd CG Guards Divison in BEF before the armistice.  He may have joined them in Cologne for a short time in the Army of Occupation. I can't see a Medal Index Card on Ancestry. Paul Nixon's Army Number site gives 28035 CG enlistment in May 1918 so he likely joined up/was conscripted in summer 1918.

2nd CG were back in England by the time of his death. CG service records are available via RHQ CG but hopefully Ian will be able to provide the required information from his own sources.

Good Luck

Steve Y

Basil MURTON was the adopted son Frederick Charles and Florence MURTON. His birth name was George Basil Robert CAMERON, born in Bristol 29 May 1900.

In the 1911 census the family was living at Kirkby Cane, Bungay, Suffolk, link to ancestryhttps://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2352/rg14_11400_0055_03/53869431?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fgst%3d-6&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

Excellent! Thank you! Kirby Cane is the neighbouring village, that gives a further lead, as does his full name.

Hi Mark,

His Soldiers' Effects record (Ancestry) shows that he died in Millbank Hospital in London. Outstanding monies due were paid to Florence Murton. Using the references here (Registration District: St George Hanover Square; Volume: 1a; Page: 599), a copy death certificate from here would probably give the cause.

Regards

Chris

It's interesting that there is no war gratuity payment on the soldiers effects entry - it appears to be because he'd already received any gratuity he was entitled to and then continued to serve on until he died - you don't see too many examples of that in effects records.

#28344 was allocated to a 2nd Bn man on 28 January 1919 in respect of a post war short service enlistment (to 31 Mar 1921) so , even if Basil didn't enlist on a short-service enlistment, his number must be within a day or so at the latest. #28344 was serving in the 51st graduated battalion (as #40688) when he enlisted for service with the Coldstream Guards.

Craig

It's a very high number for the regiment suggesting he joined the war late in the day if at all

On 6.11.1911 he was enrolled at Ravingham National School as Basil Murton, born 29.5.1900. Also enrolled at the same time was his brother Jack, Frederick John in the 1911 census, born 11.3.1903. Their father's name was given as Fred Murton. Their previous School was Kikby Cane, Suffolk. They were only there a few days the register recording that they were withdrawn on  10.11.1911! 

You guys are fantastic! I've missed this. My brother and the others at the church (they're doing grounds maintenance today, he lives across the track from it) are over the moon so thank you from them too!  They only lost one villager from Stockton during the war, Charles Gaskins, 9th Norfolks on 19/04/18 who is buried in Belgium but commemorated inside.

IMG-20170506-WA0009.jpg

HarryBrook, where on earth did you find the school info? I'm just gobsmacked by that!

IMG-20170506-WA0015.jpg

The school information came from the National School Admissions Registers and Log-Books 1870 - 1914 on findmypast.

Brilliant, thanks! It seems like a lot of stuff has come online since I last did this!