The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Memorial Service at Tyne Cot 31st July 2017

pagius

Just heard that I have tickets to the Memorial Service at Tyne Cot on 31st July  after a re-allocation following returned tickets.  Thought I'd start this thread (as there doesn't appear to be another)  as  a  forum for any  GWF-ers going to this event  ,  to swap thoughts and perhaps have a few meet ups.

I shall be representing a huge number of cousins commemorating great-uncle Richard who was killed at Poelcapelle on 26th October 1917.

Hello, we have been allocated second-round tickets too. I must say the arrangements for the Tyne Cot ceremony seem very meticulous and rather daunting - no private cars, dress code, searches, no umbrellas, hats, bags etc - I hope it will be easier than it looks and especially that we won't have a repeat of Passchendaele weather!

I am commemorating my grandfather Lance Corporal William Tully 9th Royal Scots who was a fortunate survivor of the early part of the campaign. He served from 1915-19 and has four wound stripes on his wedding picture taken January 1918.

Perhaps GWF members should wear an identifying badge so we can recognise each other.

William Tully 2.jpg

It will be interesting to see how this is managed given the limited space and the need to fit round the headstones. I gather seating is limited. I presume that the umbrella ban is to allow people to see what is going on if it starts to drizzle (ponchos are being issued apparently). I fully support the security arrangements given the terrorist threat in France and Belgium. I look forward to my packed lunch as provided - suspect any effort to smuggle in a bottle of champagne might be misinterpreted.

Ian

A dress code? I am guessing suit, which is OK. Or I could threaten to wear my kilt? 

I am sure that Highland Day dress will be fine although wearing national costume you might risk the Duke of Edinburgh turning up for a final bow to tell you that you look ready for bed (as he told the President of Nigeria at some time apparently)

If they enforce the ban on hats (why?) let's hope it's not a hot, sunny day. Otherwise there could be a few cases of sunstroke... 

1 hour ago, KGB said:

A dress code? I am guessing suit, which is OK. Or I could threaten to wear my kilt? 

Suit? Will someone have the job of checking that jackets match trousers?

21 minutes ago, sassenach said:

If they enforce the ban on hats (why?) let's hope it's not a hot, sunny day. Otherwise there could be a few cases of sunstroke... 

Suit? Will someone have the job of checking that jackets match trousers?

It will be regimental blazer and flannels as far as I am concerned with the biggest possible brass buttons.

I don't have much of a problem with a certain formality at an event that is effectively a memorial service  and that I assume is likely is likely to be attended at Head of State level. I wouldn't turn up to a wedding or funeral in jeans or a tee shirt and I suspect that this is what they are trying to avoid. However it does say 'or business attire' which gives it some flex. As regards hats, I suppose my knotted Forbes tartan handkerchief will have to do in the event of a beating sun. Again, it does say that no hats are requested 'during the ceremony' but suggests bringing a hat for the rest of the day. 

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley

10 minutes ago, Ian Riley said:

It will be regimental blazer and flannels as far as I am concerned with the biggest possible brass buttons. As regards hats, I suppose my knotted Forbes tartan handkerchief will have to do in the event of a beating sun. 

Joking apart, any ban on hats would be unacceptable in my opinion (as well as silly). It is standard medical advice to wear a hat in hot, sunny conditions. 

20 minutes ago, sassenach said:

"in hot, sunny conditions" Chance might be a fine thing!

Stick the hat in use during the rest of the day (which they do advise) in the back pocket of the 'suit' or in the sporran and whip it out if the sun starts to beat down. Doubt that the ceremony lasts more than an hour. I think again they will be trying to avoid any fanciful creations amongst the ladies. They may have learnt lessons from the Somme commemoration but at least that had greater possibilities than Tyne Cot for it to be raised. I shall probably be carrying a 'Bill and Ben Flowerpot Men" floppy hat. I suspect my great grandfather's opera top hat that collapses to the thickness of a dinner plate for putting under a  seat will not be appreciated

Edited by Ian Riley

I was going to wear my old Signals beret but it is missing in action.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be there on the day too. Now all I need to do is find my Great War Forum badge..... it would help if I could remember what it looks like. :D

9 hours ago, Kookaburra said:

I will be there on the day too. Now all I need to do is find my Great War Forum badge..... it would help if I could remember what it looks like. :D

Better not be wearing that Kiwi hat  during the ceremony that your avatar is sporting :) !

On 5/28/2017 at 07:10, Kookaburra said:

If you don't mind me asking, did you get your ticket through the UK Government ballot, or is there a separate arrangement in NZ? 

43 minutes ago, sassenach said:

If you don't mind me asking, did you get your ticket through the UK Government ballot, or is there a separate arrangement in NZ? 

So far as I can see, the NZ Government is holding its own ceremony in Tyne Cot on 12 October (11 am), along with various other ceremonies at various NZ memorial sites, culminating in one at the NZ Memorial to the Missing in Buttes New Military Cemetery. I hope that they have managed to clean up the latter - because of its proximity to trees it has a rather grimy/green stain on it a lot of the time, which rather mars its (to my mind) rather impressive appearance.

17 hours ago, sassenach said:

No arrangement with NZ that I am aware of just the luck of the draw and the fact my gt uncle was last seen alive on 31 July 1917 and he doesn't have a grave which was a motivating reason to enter the ballot. 

Edited by Kookaburra
spelling mistake

6 hours ago, Kookaburra said:

No arrangement with NZ that I am aware of just the luck of the draw and the fact my gt uncle was last seen alive on 31 July 1917 and he doesn't have a grave which was a motivating reason to enter the ballot. 

Many thanks for your reply. My uncle was also posted as missing on 31.7.17, and, like yours, has no known grave. Unfortunately I wasn't successful in the ballot, but I hope you have a memorable day.

• 3 weeks later...

Could anyone with tickets tell me the start time of the Tyne Cot event, please? I gather it might be shown on a screen in Ypres.

23 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Could anyone with tickets tell me the start time of the Tyne Cot event, please? I gather it might be shown on a screen in Ypres.

13:00 I think. It says that on one of the dozen emails I have been sent!

2 hours ago, Ian Riley said:

13:00 I think. It says that on one of the dozen emails I have been sent!

Thanks, Ian. Hope you have a good day.

There's a very strict security regime being set up. So much so that the locals from Tynecotstraat cannot leave their homes unless in possion of a pass. And f they get the pass and leave, there are restrictions on their returning home. Shuttle buses will run from  Becelaere so presumably parking will be there. The parking at Tyne Cot is to be closed, as are the toilets

There is talk locally of a stand being erected on the path from the visitors centre. That's what happened at Messines last week.

The restrictions are in force from 0001 until 1800 hrs

Isn't there a shuttle from the rail station at Ypres?

I was also successful in the Ballot and will be at Tyne Cot on 31st July.

My Uncle who was serving in the 1/5 th Kings Liverpool Regiment was reported missing on 31st July,he has no known grave.

According to the information sent to me,there will be a shuttle bus from Ypres Railway station to Zonnebeke.

People driving have to park at Memorial Park Zonnebeke and will be taken to Tyne Cot by shuttle bus.

There is no mention of no Toilet facilities!!! But does state it will be standing apart from those who have previously indicated that they cannot stand.

Gill

• 2 weeks later...

We were fortunate in obtaining tickets in the first round of the ballot. At first we were worried we had no ancestors who fought (or died) at Passchendaele. Would they check, we asked ourselves. Would we have to bring proof? Then, found a great-uncle with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers who fought at Pilkem Ridge on the 31st July 1917, so now feel vindicated. He survived the war happily.

I'm certainly taking a hat. My latest email says you can wear sunhats, but not during the service, although my 5.0 foot nothing height shouldn't spoil many people's view. Hope there's toilet facilities nearby. Ladies of a certain age need to go quite frequently!

Sue.