Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was the detonator box called?

museumtom

What was the box thingy that was wound up and plunged to let off the mines in ww1?

It is bugging me.........I have heard the name of it before but I cannot remember.

Regards.

Tom.

Evenin' all,

On this subject, does anyone know if there is a publication which gives details of the epuipment, both in terms of that worn (breathing apparatus etc...) and the instruments used by tunnellers in the great war? I've always wanted to add some tunnelling pieces to my collection...

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I do not think you will find a specific book detailing tunnelling equipment - anything like this is very rarely seen outside a museum. There are however a couple of excellent books on the general subject of WW1 tunnelling as discussed on the forum recently. Compared to WW2, in general there is still a deficit of really good and detailed specific Great War equipment books.

But I guess there should be files buried deep at the PRO detailing tunnelling equipment?

Was the box called a 'charge box'?

It is called The Exploder, Dynamo, Electric Mark V. It is contained in a wooden box 13" x 8" x 6", it is painted white and fitted with a lid that can be locked.

John