Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Service Records of South African Troops

RussT

• Admin

I am familiar with the on-line accessibility of service records for soldiers who served with Australian, New Zealand and Canadian forces.

Does anyone know if similar exist for South African forces (including Native Labour contingents)?

I've tried googling around but have failed to find any relevant information/websites.

Do SA records exist but are not digitised/on-line or have the SA WW1 service records been lost/destroyed?

Regards

Russ

There was a recent thread with, I think, a link to a South African records office? But I can't find it now. 

http://www.icon.co.za/~bevp/

I found the above link with a recommendation regarding research into S.A. Service from a 2003 thread. 

I have a V.M to a S.A. service corps driver but not researched him yet. 

Edited by GWF1967

I read on another forum that the SA archives/records are temporarily closed but no idea for how long or if this is even correct.

This link from the National Archives and Records Service of South Africa

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/services_to_the_public.htm#research   says:

Other research
If you have any queries regarding military history you may contact the Department of Defence Archives at sandfdoc@mweb.co.za  as all military records are kept by them. Their physical address is the Schweikert Building, 20 Visagie Street, Pretoria and the telephone number is (012) 339-4600; Fax (012) 339 4631

Cheers

Maureen

5 minutes ago, Maureene said:

This link from the National Archives and Records Service of South Africa

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/services_to_the_public.htm#research   says:

Other research
If you have any queries regarding military history you may contact the Department of Defence Archives at sandfdoc@mweb.co.za  as all military records are kept by them. Their physical address is the Schweikert Building, 20 Visagie Street, Pretoria and the telephone number is (012) 339-4600; Fax (012) 339 4631

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, I'll save the link this time.

• 5 years later...
On 02/05/2017 at 23:14, RussT said:

Many thanks for the links.

I've shot off an email to sandfdoc@mweb.co.za -  I'll see what transpires.

Regards

Russ

Hi Russ,

Did you ever get a reply?

I attempted to contact using the above link but received a notification that the message had bounced.

• Admin
49 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Russ,

Did you ever get a reply?

I attempted to contact using the above link but received a notification that the message had bounced.

I did get a response and some great timely help.

Looking back at my records from that time I also used this email address: archives@dac.gov.za, so you could try that as I'm not clear now which one unlocked the door for my enquiry.

The help I got from a couple of chaps who replied to me had the website http://www.southafricawargraves.org/ embedded in their digital signatures.

The soldier I was interested in died during the war so perhaps that was the key reason I managed to get the help I needed. Soldiers who survived might be a different avenue but should be, if such records are still available, via the SA Archives which is the email address I've quoted above.

Good luck !

Russ

24 minutes ago, RussT said:

I did get a response and some great timely help.

Looking back at my records from that time I also used this email address: archives@dac.gov.za, so you could try that as I'm not clear now which one unlocked the door for my enquiry.

The help I got from a couple of chaps who replied to me had the website http://www.southafricawargraves.org/ embedded in their digital signatures.

Soldiers who survived might be a different avenue but should be, if such records are still available, via the SA Archives which is the email address I've quoted above.

Good luck !

Russ

Thank you.
It’s a survivor I’m trying to find information about.
I purchased a Victory medal with the rank, name, and regiment, but no number, “Dvr. J.H.G. Royston. S.A.S.C”.
 I found an enlistment to the R.A.F. 29/10/18, which I believe to be the right man -  No. 316613. Occupation Engineer.  Address. P.O.Box 16, Ixopo, Natal, S.A.   
Discharged to a commission 14/2/19. 
 2Lt. 15/2/19 (L.G. 13/6/19). 
 Unfortunately no  information is recorded regarding place or dob, next of kin, or previous service.