The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A deserter ?

Kakanui

I have been tracing William Henry Smith -  Royal Marine Light Infantry. Service Number 15089 or PLY 158089.

It seems William enlisted in 1910 and went on to serve on a variety of vessels.When I look at his service record his last service was 1 Jan 1916 - 29 May 1916 on the Carnarvon but then no more. When I look at Medal roll for the Royal Marines it lists him as `f' and `r'. Would that really mean he deserted? Or could it mean he changed ship/ unit/ occupation in May 1916?  There is a date of 27/11/1917 on his service record and some text that I can't make out. (I have attached) Any thoughts anyone?

WH Smith service record.jpg

His record is marked "Run" which means he deserted from HMS CARNARVON (and was never recovered). His entry in the RM Medal Roll also shows desertion (R = Run) and his medal entitlement was, in consequence forfeited (F).

I cannot read the final entry dated 27/11/17. His correct register number is Plymouth/15089 (PLY/15089).

There is an attestation pack of papers for this man in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy)  fleetairarm.enquiries@NMRN.org.uk

Edited by horatio2