Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pictures from our 2016 tour

Gardenerbill

Great picture of Essex Farm Bunker.  Thanks.

Thankyou Sassenach and White Star Line for your comments.

I can't take all the credit, some of the pictures were taken by my son and wife on their phones.

We were lucky on two counts that day; the weather was perfect sunshine and blue skies and it was quiet, a school party arrived at Langemarck just as we were leaving and we managed to keep just ahead of them all day. The big cemeteries are almost incomprehensible, but it was all the little ones you see as you drive around that I found particularly moving, there are so many.

I was lucky to be able to go in langhof farm bunkers with a battlefield guide,full of goats would you believe

bunker goat.JPG

bunkers24.JPG

Edited by BIFFO
just found photos

Biffo,

Thanks for posting the Langhof bunker photos, were you allowed to go in them?

I find these battered and weathered bunkers have a sort of rugged beauty and its not often you can say that about concrete structures.

Here are some pictures of Ypres, we were a bit unlucky (didn't do research thoroughly enough) as there was a fair in the main square that week.

Ypres 1

Ypres 2

Edited by Gardenerbill

Mark, thanks for posting these; they are really good (and make me want to go back). I particularly like the one from the tower of the Cloth Hall, I've never seen any from there before; I have been looking at it hard and trying to identify the locations on the horizon, I think I can see Railway Wood and the Bellewaarde ridge but I'd need to get Google Earth up and try and orientate myself. Did you take any more from up there?

Pete.

Fattyowls,

Unfortunately I only have 1 photograph from the tower, I know we took more but I only kept the best one. It is possible my son my have some more I wil ask him.

12 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Fattyowls,

Unfortunately I only have 1 photograph from the tower, I know we took more but I only kept the best one. It is possible my son my have some more I wil ask him.

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that, no worries if not. It's probably a case of foreshortening of the perspective but the horizon seems very close somehow.

Pete.

4 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Biffo,

Thanks for posting the Langhof bunker photos, were you allowed to go in them?

we went with a battlefield guide we know,  we pulled up by the farm, the farmers wife came out, saw who we were with and left us alone, I am sure otherwise we would have been told to leave .That's the benefit of going with a guide, they take you to places others cannot, the same guide took us to pond farm another excellent place ,well not when your standing beside loads of live ordinance ,cheddar farm also v good,well as long as you don't stand in all the cow poo

On 01/05/2017 at 13:11, Fattyowls said:

Did you take any more from up there?

Here's an extra for Fattyowls. My son took the panorama by hand using the feature on his phone, the dip in the horizon is not a natural feature.

Cloth Hall Tower Views

It's a pity it wasn't a clear day.

24 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Here's an extra for Fattyowls. My son took the panorama by hand using the feature on his phone, the dip in the horizon is not a natural feature.

Cloth Hall Tower Views

It's a pity it wasn't a clear day.

That's excellent Mark, thank you and thanks to your son. I can't get the horizon straight on my photos without trying anything like a panorama so I'm in no position to quibble.

Pete.

One of our Photo's July 2016 Accrington Pals Mascot and Royal B.L. Mascot

01-07-21016 Mayors an 2 Mascots at Menin.JPG

Edited by Retlaw

8 hours ago, Retlaw said:

One of our Photo's Juky2016 Accrington Pals Mascot and Royal B.L. Mascot

Nice photo thanks for posting it, looks like a couple of furture forum pals there.