Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mullingar & Kilworth

Rvictor

I am interested in any info or photos of the Irish Barracks/Training Camps at Mullingar, and Kilworth during WW1.

My interest is in the 11th Battalion (Pioneers) Hampshire Regiment, raised in September 1914 as part of Kitchener's Second New Army. They moved to Dublin to join 16th (Irish) Division as Army Troops, moved to Mullingar in September and converted to Pioneers in December 1914. They moved to Kilworth in March 1915 and then to Aldershot for final training in September 1915, then to France 18/19th December 1915. 

Mullingar (then Wellington) Barracks is featured on this web-site and there are some nice shots of the barracks.  http://irishgarrisontowns.com/

Although now closed as an active installation, Columb Barracks has the longest lease in the world, at 7 million years!  Which when you consider the Barracks was built originally to reinforce the British rule in Ireland, is quite ironic.

Oh and before I return to work-work, Kilworth was in the news after Great War practice trenches were examined (hardly discovered, perhaps re-discovered?) there.  http://irishgarrisontowns.com/

no photographs but I believe that there may be some of Kilworth in the IWM collections?  

• 1 year later...
On 28/04/2017 at 17:50, Rvictor said:

I am interested in any info or photos of the Irish Barracks/Training Camps at Mullingar, and Kilworth during WW1.

My interest is in the 11th Battalion (Pioneers) Hampshire Regiment, raised in September 1914 as part of Kitchener's Second New Army. They moved to Dublin to join 16th (Irish) Division as Army Troops, moved to Mullingar in September and converted to Pioneers in December 1914. They moved to Kilworth in March 1915 and then to Aldershot for final training in September 1915, then to France 18/19th December 1915. 

Hi Rvictor; I can see that your original post is over 18 months old now so you may already have found the information you require; but thought i'd just reply on the off-chance in case this is of interest; my great-great uncle was in the 11th Hampshire Regiment (Pioneers) and I have a group photograph taken at Mullingar in Sept 1914 if it might be of interest? i would be very interested also to know if you managed to find any further information on the Hampshire Regiment due to my family connection, thanks