Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help researching Tank C41

Sturmmann1918

Hello! After sifting through my large photograph collection, I came across a photo Ive never been able to find any information on. The photo shows tank C41 appearing to be stuck within a trench/ditch. Since there is a German posing in the photo, Id say the tank had been abandoned. Also, snow appears to liter the ground, supporting it was knocked out during the winter. Can anyone shed some light on what happened to the tank, where, when, and who the crew was? Not sure if its possible, but many of you on here are great when it comes to this. I have had no luck myself! Ive attached the photo. Thanks!

IMAG0465_1.jpg

C41 was a reserve tank at Cambrai 20 Nov 17. Commanded by 2Lt C H Sewell (subsequent winner of the VC) it is believed she was hit/lost a track crossing the Hindenburg Line near Banteux. (Subsequntly captured in the German C/Atk). I am not aware of any fatal casualties nor of the crew names .  I don't believe the battle sheet has survived.

1 hour ago, pjwmacro said:

C41 was a reserve tank at Cambrai 20 Nov 17. Commanded by 2Lt C H Sewell (subsequent winner of the VC) it is believed she was hit/lost a track crossing the Hindenburg Line near Banteux. (Subsequntly captured in the German C/Atk). I am not aware of any fatal casualties nor of the crew names .  I don't believe the battle sheet has survived.

Very interesting info! Here is his wikipedia page which details the events leading to his VC.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Sewell Thank you for your help

Edited by Sturmmann1918