Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bernard Arthur Bell DSO

Nigel Bell

Can anyone provide help with researching a medal record for a WW1 relative Bernard Bell DSO.  I know he finished as a major but not sure how long he was in the army

Any pointers gratefully received.

Beat me to it Chris,I was going to query the correct name.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Hi there 

No he was Bernard Arthur Bell born 15 Nov 1891. He was decorated DSO and moved to Australia after WW1 - hence loss of contact .  I did come across a Frederick Bernard Bell but he's not the same Bell ...

Many thanks

Nigel

There's an MIC and Medal rolls (Victory & British War Medals & 1914-15 Star) on Ancestry - under B.A. Bell - 1/4th West Riding Regiment - date of entry, France, 14th April 1915

Mike

If it's Bernard Arthur Bell, initially 1/4th Battn. Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment), he was gazetted 2nd Lt. on 1 September 1914

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28886/page/6911

and he relinquished his commission on account of ill-health caused by wounds, then Captain in 7th Battn., West Riding Regt., on 2 March 1919.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31207/supplement/2947

He was a Territorial Force Officer. He was not a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [D.S.O.].

thanks to everyone.  I think I need to do more research - possibly through the archives dept with the Duke of Wellington's regt.(west riding).  Thanks again.  I'm certain he was a DSO - we have his medal still.

• Admin

Hi Nigel

I've edited the title of the thread in case someone who knows of your man sees it and can help further.

Glen

GWF Admin Team

Hi Nigel,

The war diary for 1/4th West Riding Regiment appears to have been split in to 5 parts (at £3.50 a go) by the National Archives (TNA) - downloadable from here. His WW1 service record is also at the National Archives TNA, but isn't available to download - see here. If you can't visit, it may be cheaper to use a file copying service, rather than getting TNA to send you a copy. It would perhaps be worth establishing if he always served overseas with the 1/4th Battalion, or if for example he was attached to another unit at any time.  

Hopefully this link will take you to a page where you can find his WW2 Australian file reference by using the name search. The file hasn't been digitalised yet, but going through the order process it looks like you could get one for $69 AUD. Sorry I can't post a link direct to the record page. It would only go through to a generic 'session expired' screen.

The records relating to DSO awards are in the WO 390 series here at TNA. The indices where the files are titled "Alphabetical Index..." and have the WO 390/x/y reference structure are free downloads. To get the actual registers as free downloads you need to get the ones that are titled by date range (e.g. this one) and have the reference structure WO 390/x. For some unknown reason if you try to download them in sub sections, you'd end up paying £3.50 a go - I think.

Regards

Chris

Many thanks Chris - a great help.  I will follow your suggestion and go to national archives directly I think.  Again many thanks  Nigel