Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards from India

themonsstar

The postcards are from 1916

Sabathu is a cantonment town in the Solan district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. T

Laundry day

Sabathu India.JPG

India No1.JPG

Barracks at Sabathu Hill depot, Hants Regt Barracks in the foreground, Royal West Kents in the distance India August 1916

India No2.JPG

This is a photo of a native woman and her children in the land where the women wear the trousers, the goat moved while the photo was being taken. Sabathu India October 13th 1916.   

India No3.JPG

Wellington Barracks Nilgiri Hills in the south of India

This is a photo of the barracks and neighborhood I have marked the RC church with a X the school 0 and are barracks -- . In the distance is the hills  

India No4.JPG

25/4/1915

Dear George 

Just a few lines in answer to your letter glad to hear you are getting on alright. You say you are going to be an bugle boy if you join the terriers don't come out to India unless you want to. I thought you like to have a PC of the barracks I have marked our barracks with a cross X. The 5th Hants Regt barracks with a ---- The Devons with an 0 and the 7th Hussars, The RFA, SLI with a triangle The barrack square is in the middle. How is Bill Goodall going on. Now I must close with love to all from your loving brother.

India No5.JPG

Tirumalagiri is a major suburb of Secunderabad, India. Trimulgherry is the anglicised name for Tirumalagiri. It is to the north of Hyderabad.

Dear Edie

Thanks very much for your card. I hope you are keeping well. I expect that it is cold now in england but it is so hot here that we have to drill in our shirt sleeves though we are sweating. We have our inspection by the General  Tuesday. I think that we shall soon be back in england again to see you as we have not come out for long. This is a PC of the fort inside of which you can see the barracks now I must close with love.

India No6.JPG

Edited by themonsstar

Really interesting images.  Thank you.  Keep them coming if you have more.

Fabulous pictures. Thanks for sharing. 

Dave

Very interesting, thanks for posting these. 

Pat

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2017 at 19:45, themonsstar said:

Wellington Barracks Nilgiri Hills in the south of India

This is a photo of the barracks and neighborhood I have marked the RC church with a X the school 0 and are barracks -- . In the distance is the hills  

India No4.JPG

I believe now the location of the Indian Army staff college.