Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Callahan - the last war bird' by Marvin Skelton

Errol Martyn

According to a review of this 1980 book there is a chapter called ''The British View' which is in effect comments made by that redoubtable airman 'Grid' Caldwell'.

I am interested to learn what this chapter has re Caldwell. Could someone who has access to a copy please let me know how extensive the coverage is?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Errol

• 4 weeks later...

In my copy, "A British View" is pp. 95-102 (Skelton's book was, I believe, released more than once, with slightly divergent  material--it was a rather amateur photocopy publishing job).

Part of the chapter, after an introductory sketch by Skelton about Caldwell, consists of Caldwell, in an exchange with George W. Grider, debunking or correcting episodes recounted in War Birds, particularly the account in the diary entry for June 23, 1918, about Caldwell crawling out on a wing to get out of a spin.  

The main substance of the chapter is Caldwell's response to various incidents recounted by Callahan:  Skelton sent Caldwell a draft of the Callahan lecture & Q.&A.  Mostly Caldwell is skeptical---appreciative of Callahan, but says Callahan exaggerated for humorous effect.  And miscellaneous remarks about whether the SE was the equal of the Fokker DVII, Sidcot suits, whether Dolphins were any good.  Just under 4 pages total (99--102). 

Let me know if you want me to try to figure out how to get a copy of these pages to you.

best,

--Marian 

Hello Marian,

Many thanks indeed for this most helpful summary of the Caldwell content of the book. I can be contacted at errol.martyn@xtra.co.nz if you should be able to scan the four pages on my behalf, for which I would also be most grateful.

Cheers,

Errol