Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glamorgan 226 V.A.D.

alf mcm

Can anyone tell me where Glamorgan Voluntary Aid Detachment 226 was raised. I am trying to trace Elizabeth Beatty, who worked at Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour in 1918 and 1919.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks for searching, but that's where I got my information!

Glamorgan 226 is the V.A.D. number, but it would also have a subsidiary title which would help pin down it's exact location in Glamorgan.

Regards,

Alf McM

Samuel House opened in April 1916, a hospital of 30 beds she is not listed among the staff at this time.I will see if i have the reports for scotland  

21 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Can anyone tell me where Glamorgan Voluntary Aid Detachment 226 was raised. I am trying to trace Elizabeth Beatty, who worked at Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour in 1918 and 1919.

Regards,

Alf McM

So far as I am aware the VAD numbers for a county were very local although no specific boundaries. They were raised where the volunteers worked. On that premise I have used the BRCS record cards web site and dropped in Glamorgan 206. Nearly all of the volunteers worked at Samuel House Auxiliary Hospital, Cardiff.

There is a photograph of the Samuel House Hospital being opened on 12 April 1916 in the Western Mail 13 April 1916. It was a large house given to the Red Cross rent free and was located in Cathedral Road, Cardiff, very near the city centre. It still exists as number 4 Cathedral Road but has recently been converted into luxury apartments and renamed "Cathedral Parc". Externally, it appears to have changed very little.

Gwyn