Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fraudulent Enlistment

Perth Digger

The official Statistics of the Military Effort ... states that there were 1818 District Courts-Martial for Fraudulent Enlistment during the war (and five FGCMs overseas). From 1st October 1914 the book divides the statistics up into unhelpful annual periods (449 for 1/10/14 to 30/9/15, 976 for 1/10/15 to 30/9/16 etc). I have gone through the DCM Registers (WO 86) for the period 1 Jan 1915 to, so far, 31 March 1916, breaking the data down by month. This is the result:

Apart from the anomaly of March 1915, which I'll have to recheck, it is clear that there was a very significant increase in FE courts-martial in the last months of 1915, with a` peak being reached in Jan 1916. The great increase in the size of the army may account for some of this and the move towards conscription may also have had the effect of influencing men to "switch jobs" before it was too late. Maybe a more efficient and effective detection force, both civil and military police, also had an effect. Compared with other forms of desertion the numbers are small, but suggestive.

These figures are not those for men fraudulently enlisting, only for those who were caught and charged. How many others lurk behind these stats is an intractable question. Motivation is also unclear. There are innumerable possible reasons, from boredom, a bullying NCO, or unpleasant colleagues to worries about home and a desire to avoid embarkation by finding a cosier billet. 

If anyone has come across statements in books or files by men who were charged with FE and who gave some reason for their action, I'd be glad to hear from them. 

Thanks

Mike