Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rain coat help needed

Andrew Upton

I bought the item below on Ebay recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2288776653

hoping that it might be WW1. However, I now suspect its WW2 in date, something like a motorcyclists/dispatch riders rain coat.

Does anyone have a better idea of its date/use, or am I fairly close?

look's like the ones they used in Indo china (Vietnam)

PS If anyone has a spare grey painted half domed steel button, about 15mm diameter, marked "DMR 15 M PARIS" for sale, then I'd love to hear from you, as I need one to replace the missing epaulette button.

i have some french zink buttons... same size i think

Andrew,

The circular stamp sounds like one of Frances manufacturers required stamps.

The 3/46 means manufactured in the 3rd Trimestre of 1946.

Could you post a photo of the circular stamp?

Joe Sweeney

WW1 stamps must be oval, not?

Wow, fast responses!

Joe Sweeney:

Posting photos on this forum is something I have not mastered :rolleyes: , however, as the coat is sat on my lap as I type, I can describe it as best I can.

Circular stamp, measuring just under 3cm in diameter. Unfortunately, its been stamped with too much ink (did they ever manage to stamp such garments without making it practically illegible from the start :lol: ) Outer rim, reading from the 9'oclock position "?Ltd? ??UCK(H?)A? ? (probably "&", as the next word is clearly) FILS MONTPELLIER", all this surrounding the 3 above 46. About 2cm above this circular marking is stamped a large number "1". To the far side is stamped a 3cm by 2cm oval, but this is very faded - three rows of writing, that looks like numbers.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Andrew,

The circular stamp I'm pretty sure is the "Cachet du fournisseur" and dated to 1946.

Kristof,

You can actually get a rough estimate of date by the shape of the stamp even if the date inside is not clear.

There should be two types of round oval stamps on French garments up through the first world war. A well marked French Garment will be loaded with stamps of varying nature.

"Cachet du fournisseur" and "Cachet du Commision de reception".

"Cachet du fournisseur"--these have always been round, officially but Ovals can be found. Before 1893 the manufacturer was a simple horizontal line with date at the bottom. After 1893 the Manufacturer was moved to around the edge with the center divided into boxes with date codes and after WWI simple dates can be found.

"Cachet du Commision de reception". was the depot/acceptance stamp. Before 1893 it was a an oval stamp with Acceptance location around the edge and a simple date in the center. After 1893 it became an elongated oval with the Acceptance location (Usually, a Corps designator) around the ege and the center divided into boxes for the date.

I'm not real up opn post WWI French stamping but the circular "Cachet du fournisseur" is usually always found and could a trimetsre code or simple date.

Joe Sweeney

So my coat was made in the third quarter of 1946? Well, that's answered one question. Now I've got to find some use for it - might make a practical, usable coat, if it didn't look so much like a flashers mac :lol: .