Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A very special violin

phsvm

I can't see the great War connection, so I think this has to go to Skindles. if I m issed the GW link, happy to return it.

Keith

Keith, he was killed in action on 7th June 1916 serving with 10th Dukes and is buried in Woods Cemetery, Ypres. Please return it.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

It's the story of violin maker Richard Spencer Howard's last instrument, left unfinished when he was killed in action in 1917.

Now completed and played for the first time.

The CD Made in the Great War is very enjoyable. I was lucky enough to see one of the shows he did about the fiddle and it was a magical evening. A poignant story and a wonderful musician

David

What a great story.  The youtube clip of him playing the violin at the maker's grave is very moving.

Whoops, sorry, I assumed it was the one about a mislaid strad which I heard on the radio the previous night.. Now restored to the original location, and two topics merged.

Keith

2 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

Whoops, sorry, I assumed it was the one about a mislaid strad which I heard on the radio the previous night.. Now restored to the original location, and two topics merged.

Keith

You shouldn't have - ahem - fiddled with it.

I thengyow.

• 1 month later...

some years ago a violin was made from timer salvaged on the Somme. It became a tediously big thing within the WFA - concerts and etc. I wonder what happened to it - anyone know?

• 1 year later...

Had the pleasure of visiting his grave during our Wolverhampton WFA Branch Tour in May, and listening to a recording of the violin being played. 

The programme details have not been updated yet.  Not sure if she is going have someone in the studio playing it or a recording and someone talking about it.  Will check again in about a week.

I have no idea. Perhaps it was just wood from the area. Whatever, it was a tedious WFA talisman for some time some of us considered.

Edited by David Filsell

On 28/10/2018 at 16:18, PhilB said:

What kind of timber would one salvage from a Somme battlefield in order to make a violin?

Spruce and maple. Perhaps sycamore would do at a pinch. Bending irons, loads of clamps, rabbit skin glue and ebony for the pegs and chin rest would be harder to find.

Sounds like even a RE Workshop would be short of the requisite tools? Certainly not a job for the trenches. Of course, the violin could have been made at home from returned wood.

Full story here: 

This is the programme I heard mentioned.

MUSIC: Cerys Matthews
On: BBC 6 Music    
Date: Sunday 11th November 2018 (starting in 8 days)
Time: 10:00 to 13:00 (3 hours long)

John Man about his book ' Amazons: The Real Warrior Women of the Ancient World'. Plus folk musician Sam Sweeney performs tracks from his new album 'The Unfinished Violin' - music inspired by the First World War.
(Stereo)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Category: Music' marker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Just been reported on BBC South Today, including an interview with the soldier’s granddaughter  You should be able to find on iPlayer probably from tomorrow.  

Mandy