Wire reinforced SMLEs

David Filsell

this one on display Military museum Calgary Canada

regards

Bob R.

IMG_0279.JPG

Nice photo.

However.....

Tell them the rod on the Mills No 5 is too long. Needs to be 5.5 inches.

If they get that wrong then the wire bound SMLE may be the wrong period.

John

possible, the private collection belongs to Victor Treblonca (sp) a well known collector here, I have no knowledge as to the provenance of the SMLE, just providing the possible WW1 connection as his complete display is from WW1

regards

Bob R.

I have just received an original

'The Training and  Employment of Bombers', issued by the General Staff , Sept. 1916.

As shown in the attached photos, this appears to be a wrapped SMLE as can be clearly seen under a glass.

The wrapping appears quite thick, and may well be the 'cord' referred to above (#17) or just very thick wire (#5).

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
photo malfunction, i.e. operator error

nice find, should answer the OP's original question (at least used in training)

Regards

Bob R.

I think this will only apply to training establishments where rifles were probably used for far longer in this role than operationally. As previously stated 1918 looks to be the official date. I'll have a look in some of my old training documents when I get back from France next week.

I've had a look at my copy of the Training and Employment of Bombers 1916 and I think the binding on the fore end of the rifle is rope not wire. It is simply too thick. Also one of the firing positions shows the binding being used as a grip. The fierce recoil from firing a grenade would make this sensible. Also these training establishments would have seen their share of barrels bursting and the rope would limit the spread of splinters.

So I think the binding started in training establishments with rope, then by 1918 had 'graduated' to a double binding fore end and near the receiver in wire. Post #13 seems to confirm the official date of acceptance into service. So Vimy is quite doubtful in my opinion.

when appearing in court (former life as police man) the judge would invoke the reasonable doubt issue, in other words if there was reasonable doubt, no conviction, I would say there was a possibility of use at Vimy, but we are dealing with two armies Canadian/British, I believe most of the posts above are relying on Brit field manuals, and no info on the possible use by Canadian troops, so still up in the air????

On 5/3/2017 at 02:32, robins2 said:

this one on display Military museum Calgary Canada

regards

Bob R.

IMG_0279.JPG

This is a post WWII Indian ShtLE GF modification it is not a great war example (although it is possible the rifle/receiver is WWI dated).

It is identifiable by the square (rather than rounded) foresight protector "ears" and the symmetrical (no right hand side offset) rear sight protector. I have a couple of these rifles.

Here are 3 Indian GF rifles and a rather well used later production (1964) Ishapore demonstrating the features noted above.

2 wire wrapped rifles (the top with cup attached)

and a sheet metal wrapped rifle with sheet steel bolted around rifle

5-5-3.jpg.ffcf3748b8048f35a789f63f757e68cd.jpg

Note also the large transverse bolt through the fore-end just behind the rear wrapping.

(comparison or wrappings)

5-5-4.jpg.1a7e3914552bc08339e4194a352db6a6.jpg

Chris

thanks for the clarification

Well spotted Chris.

It's clear that the contents of that cabinet do not always match the labels!

Your photos also show what a tight fit the wire is in most cases (the example I saw had thicker wire) but none are as thick as the binding in the Training and Employment of Bombers material which I am sure is rope. I think I would be happy with the 1918 date as being the start wire binding in general service rather than at training establishments.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across the LoC for wire/cord-wrapping: The LoC paragraph in question is 22889, dated 9 Dec, 1918.

Chris