Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cross Of Sacrifice - how the artist envisaged it..

Guest Pete Wood

I know a few people will be interested in this. The artist is D MacPherson.

My thanks to the Illustrated London News archives to whom this image belongs, and who gave me permission to post it.

post-19-1103231277.jpg

Thanks RT.

Interesting looking at the graves. The garden in front of each headstone BUT was the design of the headstone decided at that early date?

The above drawing (with several others) also appears in a booklet entitled "The Graves of the Fallen" published by IWGC and written by Rudyard Kipling with illustrations by Douglas Macpherson. Whether the Illustrated London News published it first or not, I do not know.

I presume the 1919 date is given by RT from the date of the ILN publication containing it - or is it from a photo archive?

The headstone design certainly was available in 1919. There were heated debates on the design in the House of Commons in December 1919.

The above mentioned booklet also has Macpherson's drawings of the headstone designs and the Stone of Remembrance.

I presume the 1919 date is given by RT from the date of the ILN publication containing it - or is it from a photo archive?

This, and other drawings by Macpherson, was published by the ILN on the 26th April 1919.

What is the date of the IWGC booklet....??

RT

As you will know, publications until post WW2 rarely carried any publication date. However, I have checked the British Library catalogue and it gives the date of publication as 1919.

So.. still none the wiser as to who published the pics first. Not that it matters. Their appearance in the booklet and the ILN was obviously part of the publicity campaign to let the public know what was being planned for the fallen.

How was the unifomity of size according to the number of graves decided? Also how much do they weigh roughly?

Matt

There are four standard sizes used according to the physical size of the cemetery - the cross ranging from 15ft to 30ft. According to 'Courage Remembered' the base block of the largest version weighs two tons.

There are exceptions and the Cross forming the Halifax Memorial stands 40ft high.