The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Q.V.B.R.S.

albert arnold

I've just started trying to find out more about a relative of mine, Alfred Morgan, who was born in/near St. Andrews, Scotland, in 1886, and served as a private in the 7th Battalion, Canadian Infantry, in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force. He was killed in action on 26/9/1916 on Thiepval Ridge.

His attestation papers give his answer to the question "Have you ever served in any Military Force?" as "Q.V.B.R.S. (3 yrs.)".

Does anyone know what this stands for? I can't find anything online at all - the only references are to the same person!

Many thanks for any help.

hi

not sure what that means, possibly Queen Victorias .......

but seems like some medals for sale

http://www.arcticmedals.com/catalog/item/3730218/10292565.htm

regards

Jon

It's Queen's Volunteer Brigade, Royal Scots - the pre-1908 predecessors of the TF battalions, primarily 4th & 5th Royal Scots.

Ron

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me about this - yes, I'd been puzzling over different possibilities but it looks as though Ron has solved it for us! I found the medals too - amazing.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your super-speedy explanation. That makes perfect sense. Two of his close relatives (my great uncles) were also in the Royal Scots, 9th Battalion. Mentions of the brigade online also seem to include "Rifle" in the title? Would that have been the same unit?

Many thanks Albert

Hi Albert

Its full title, at least for part of the period 1881-1908, seems to have been "The Queen's City of Edinburgh Rifle Volunteer Brigade." In 1900 it acquired a Highland Battalion, which in 1908 became 9th (Highlanders) Bn Royal Scots.

(Source: J B M Frederick, Lineage Book of the British Armed Forces, Volume I.)

Ron

Thanks Ron, that is all very helpful. Do you by any chance know where any records of the brigade might be held?

Best wishes,

Albert

3 hours ago, albert arnold said:

Thanks Ron, that is all very helpful. Do you by any chance know where any records of the brigade might be held?

Best wishes,

Albert

You could try the Edinburgh (or Midlothian) County Record Office. A lot of Territorial Associations lodged their records with their CRO, and it is possible that their Volunteer predecessors did the same. The General Register Office in Edinburgh, or the Castle, might also be able to give you some pointers on tracing records.

There is also a book, The History of the Scottish Volunteer Force by Lt-Gen Sir James Grierson, which exists in a modern reprint (possibly Pen & Sword Press). It may be a bit pricey but it is an excellent book.

Good luck!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Hi again Ron,

Thanks very much for these pointers - I will see what I can find out and will come back with any results.

In the meantime, just in case anyone is involved in a similar search I have found "Records of the
Scottish Volunteer Force" by Major-General J. M. GRIERSON online at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/volunteer.htm

Best wishes,

Albert