Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Purple Heart

mutley

Can any pal tell me when the Purple Heart (wound medal) was introduced by the Americans, was it during the Great War? If so were any awarded to Foreign soldiers, i.e. British instructors working with American units. Thanks

Guest Greg Nehring

I pretty sure the award dates fron atleast the US Civl War or maybe even the Revolutionary War. I think it was originally a fabric, sew-on patch which was eventually made into its current form in WW1.

I don't collect US materials so I'm sure someone else will add much more to your question.

Happy Holidays,

Greg

Can any pal tell me when the Purple Heart (wound medal) was introduced by the Americans, was it during the Great War? If so were any awarded to Foreign soldiers, i.e. British instructors working with American units. Thanks

Click Here! OPH:MOPH

The Purple Heart is a purely American Award & I do not think it was Awarded to Non American Forces

Roger is correct, the Purple Heart was (re) instituted in 1932 and was retroactive to the Civil War. Wounded vets from the Civil War, Spanish-American War, WW I etc. had to apply for the PH, hence pre-WWII Purple Hearts are less common than WWII era when they were automatically awarded.

The PH existed in the Continental Army but was not a wound award.

It is only awarded to US personnel.

Hope this helps,

Neil

One of those little oddities which constantly seem to pop up in the world of medals concerns the only known gazetted award of the Purple Heart to a member of the Canadian forces (as opposed to awards made to large numbers of Canadians serving in the US forces).

Sgt.W.D.Brown of the RCAF had his Purple Heart gazetted (CG 14 June, 1946) because it is believed that when Eisenhower was handing out awards at a US military hospital, he was a patient there recovering from wounds. The story goes that at one point the US was considering presenting Purple Hearts to any Allied personnel in American hospitals. The proposal was eventually rejected, but by that time Brown had already been given his medal. Rather than create any unfavourable publicity, Brown's Purple Heart was officially gazetted.

Overall there is still quite a bit of mystery surrounding Brown's award, but the above story is what appears in F.S.Dowe's book "The Canadian Military Register of Foreign Awards".

Interesting that it is thought only to be offered to injured american personal. Our lasses grandad was on HMS Beaumaris which did minesweeping off one of the american beaches (we dont know which one) for the D-Day landings.

He said the crew of the minesweepers were all offered purple hearts, even if they werent injured as it was such a high risk job. It was promptly turned down.

It was also the same person who informed us that the entire american first wave consisted of blacks. You dont see that in the films.

Cheers,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Sometimes Vets tell slightly Tall Tales. The US army was segregated during WWII and all the Divisions used for the first wave were white outfits. :)

Take care,

Neil