The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Battery RFA,4 Reserve Brigade

EastSurrey

I bought a postcard recently, sent in February 1917  to 165550 (?) Gunner C.H. Harmer (?)A Battery RFA, 4 Reserve Battery, High Wycombe. Can anyone throw light on this unit, please?

Michael

As the name suggests, it is a Reserve Brigade (not battery) and was mainly used for training men for the RH & RFA. The units were all home based and never went overseas but did send drafts as required. No. 4 Reserve Brigade RFA (TF) was initially derived from the 3rd Line Territorial units of the Home Counties, East Anglian and London Brigades. By 1917, due to the number of men conscripted as Regulars the TF element had significantly dwindled. The batteries were all lettered as shown on your postcard.

If you are unsure about the name and number of the recipient then posting a scan may help others have a go. 

Thanks, David. Here is the postcard. I think the lady's wish may have come true, as  I can't find a medal card for this man, so perhaps he didn't serve overseas. There is a service record that at first appears to be his, but the serial number and details of service look incompatible. Incidentally, that looks more like a barbed wire wiring party, rather than the caption's telephone wiring on the message side.

Michael

wiringpostcard.jpg

GunnerHarmerpcard.jpg

Thanks for the scans Michael. The man in question is 163550 Ernest Harcourt Harmer later 328127 in the Labour Corps. He served entirely at home from October 10, 1916 to August 30, 1919 with the transfer to LC being July 21, 1917. He got married to Annie Gertrude Howell in Hawkhurst on November 25, 1916.