Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Hospital ID please

FrankieB

Hello. I wonder if anyone can identify the hospital where this picture was taken (see brickwork). I'm pretty sure it's in England as it comes from a VAD's collection of WW1 photos and I know she was posted in England. We know once at Reading No 1, but she spoke mostly of Aldershot. Is this an Aldershot hospital perhaps?

Thanks!

IMG_2598.JPG

I think that may be the Royal County Hospital in Winchester, architect William Butterfield. It looks very like Keble College, also his work.

Hey SeaJane, thanks so much for getting back to me with your suggestions. I've looked at both buildings (on line!) and can't match up the brickwork, although I see why you thought of them. Keble College is stunning! And who knows, maybe the Royal County has the brickwork I'm looking for hidden round the back.

Thanks again!

It was worth a try! If you can supply the VAD's name maybe someone can direct you to records.

Yes, always worth a try! The BRC website has a search facility for VADs but unfortunately it doesn't have anything for my granny's (the VAD in question) stint in Aldershot. Wish she was still around - I'd love to hear about her time as a VAD. I know she fell in love with an Australian sapper and have managed to find loads about him (killed in action sadly). Anyway, I'll keep looking.