Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fishing Vessels lost during WWI

AmisUK

Hi,

I have an interest in researching information on the fishing vessels lost from the port of lowestoft and surrounding villages (which i'm slowly collecting for my family history website).

The reason for doing this is that I feel those fishermen (including my Great Great-Grandfather) have never had the recognition that they deserve in this part of the country, and I have yet to find an official honour roll.

The only recognition is the Commonwealth War Graves Commision, and the Tower Hill Memorial, London, nothing local.

If anyone could help with information on the ships it would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul

"S/S Labrador (LT 1165) - Iron Steam Trawler - She left Lowestoft for the fishing grounds on January 23rd 1915, and was expected back on Sunday, the 31st January 1915, in order to have her catch ready for Monday market. She did not return. Presumed mined, all hands lost."

Paul,

Probably the place to start is to get ahold of a copy of British Vessels Lost at Sea, which has a section (27 pages) that includes (most) all of the British fishing vessels sunk by enemy action in WWI. From there, you would need to determine which vessels were from Lowestoft and the area.

There would be a few vessels (like Labrador, interestingly enough) that don;t show up in BVLAS that will be more challenging.

If you are interested in the cause of loss for a specific vessel, I would have that information for most vessels.

Best wishes,

Michael

Good luck with this Paul. My Gran lost her husband off Yarmouth/Lowestoft on H.M.Trawler Bracklyn in May 1917, while on minesweeping duty I believe. I have spent some time researching this at the NA but maybe this is not within the scope of your interest. You probably know that Lowestoft cemetery contains a large number of graves of these men.

MC

You need the books ' British Warships 1914-1918 ' by Dittmar and Colledge.

Matching the Port ID No with those lost and listed in 'British Vessels Lost at Sea' , will give you the list of ships you seek.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for the information regarding the book, I will have to look into that, but I have a feeling from my research so far that quite a few fishing vessels from these waters are missing.

Regarding the ship H.M.T Bracklyn Mike, please find the folloing information taken from my website about pakefield, which includes the WWI Roll of Honour for Lowestoft (All services).

Name: William Colby

Home: Lowestoft

Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Ship: H.M.T. Bracklyn

Circumstance: Lost with ship

Name: John Newby Saunders

Home: Lowestoft

Ship: H.M.T. Bracklyn

Name: Percival Munnings Stace

Home: Pakefield

Ship: H.M.T Bracklyn

Regards

Paul

Hello

Total loss for BRACKLYN was two officers and eight ratings killed in the loss of the ship.

don

Thanks Paul. Colby is my man. His daughter (my Aunt) still lives in Lowestoft. At the Enquiry there was comment that when his body was recovered he was not wearing a lifebelt. He is buried next to the captain, both of them with identical non-CWGC grave markers. You do not give your website address !!

Mike

Hi Mike,

We might well be distantly related then, as I have links to the Colby family via marriage. My Great Great Grandfather was Samuel James Martin, who was lost at sea on the S/S Labrador.

As for the website... I never normally post it in a forum, and I don't know if it's correct to do so here, but so that you have it, it's www.pakefield.net It's a non-profit free site just about family history for Pakefield. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for a year, but I hope to change that soon.

Regards

Paul

There is something strange going on Paul! My Grandad was also named Samuel Martin - not the same one, as mine served in the Royal Navy throughout WW1 and met and married Colby's widow after the war. There are other Colbys in my family - I will check out your website later and maybe get in touch direct.

Mike

A small bit to add: HMT Bracklyn sank on May 11, 1917 on a mine laid on May 2, 1917 by the small German minelaying submarine UC 1.

Best wishes,

Michael