The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

201999 Private William Mulcahy (17 year old)

wpf1958

I am researching 201999 Private William Mulcahy of ‘B’ Company, 13th Battalion Welsh Regiment, who died on Saturday 21st July 1917, aged 17, and is buried in Bard Cottage, grave reference III. F. 27. William was born in Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, son of Sapper Patrick and Catherine Mulcahy, of Cardiff. He had older siblings, David Michael, Catherine and Mary Ann, and younger siblings, John Humphrey, Margaret Mary and Frederick Patrick.

Does anyone have any idea when he left for France and/or joined the Battalion in the field?

Hope someone can help.

Wilhelm

3 minutes ago, wpf1958 said:

I am researching 201999 Private William Mulcahy of ‘B’ Company, 13th Battalion Welsh Regiment, who died on Saturday 21st July 1917, aged 17, and is buried in Bard Cottage, grave reference III. F. 27. William was born in Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, son of Sapper Patrick and Catherine Mulcahy, of Cardiff. He had older siblings, David Michael, Catherine and Mary Ann, and younger siblings, John Humphrey, Margaret Mary and Frederick Patrick.

Does anyone have any idea when he left for France and/or joined the Battalion in the field?

Hope someone can help.

Wilhelm

The war gratuity shows he had 12 months or less qualifying service at the time of his death - monies paid to his father Patrick (serving as a Sapper #286946).

Craig

The 13th Welsh were a service battalion but a 6 digit infantry number indicates a Territorial Bn - it suggests he was with a territorial battalion before joining the 13th Bn.
#201999 would have been in a range which had been allocated to the 4th Welsh T.F. Battalion.

These 6 digit numbers were issued only from late 1916 (at the earliest) so it would indicate he was with the 4th when posted to France. It may well only have been until he reached a base depot and was re-badged to the 13th Bn as a draft.

Craig

Thanks Craig, it is helping to narrow it down.

Wilhelm

1/4th?

5514848151797760.png?k=34FS1IfJbGs4-Eo9RzYWorsdaS45206807862837248.png?k=f31pg8tY1WP9vbcIAumkF9Mf16Y

1 minute ago, Simon_Fielding said:

1/4th?

5514848151797760.png?k=34FS1IfJbGs4-Eo9RzYWorsdaS45206807862837248.png?k=f31pg8tY1WP9vbcIAumkF9Mf16Y

The medal roll was issued by 1/4th but that looks like it was his initial unit so why they issued the medals I'm not sure .

There is a surviving record for #201939 - his number was allocated 17/11/16 to the 1/4th Bn. He was originally #6358 and given #201939 in the renumbering.

He too served in France but unfortunately that part of his record which elaborates is missing.

That being said his joining up date, 4 digit number etc will give a clue as to Williams.

Craig

That back's Craig's comments 100% (what else!). Could you hazzard a guess from this information when he may have left for France?

• 7 years later...

Hello @wpf1958, I discovered this thread recently. I am related to William and visited Bard Cottage yesterday. I would be interested to hear about your research and any more details you may have come across about William's service.

Thanks

Matt

Dear Matt

Can you email me at email address removed by moderator team,  and I'll send you the story I wrote that is published in my book on Bard Cottage. (Please note I am just about to leave for Normandy and will not be back home until 8th June.

Regards

Wilhelm

• Admin

@Matt G please use private messages to contact @wpf1958. I  have removed the email address from the post. Never a good idea to put personal information on a public forum.