Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5TH LONDON REGT CAP BADGE - CADETS

max7474

All,

please see attached a scan of a 5th london regt in blackened brass with a voided centre and a cadets scroll. It does not have the battlehonours of the post WW1 badge which wiould seem to date it pre 1922. A much restruck badge but usually copied in white metal (as the usual 5th Lonson's were) without the voids. This one is identical to the one in Wilkinsons book but is not mentioned in Gaylor, Cox or K&K. Can anyone tell me the significance of the cadets scroll? It has been suggested it was an Officer Cadet Trg company badge in WW1 but I have been unable to find any reference to such a units existance.

All,

please see attached a scan of a 5th london regt in blackened brass with a voided centre and a cadets scroll.  It does not have the battlehonours of the post WW1 badge which wiould seem to date it pre 1922.  A much restruck badge but usually copied in white metal (as the usual 5th Lonson's were) without the voids.  This one is identical to the one in Wilkinsons book but is not mentioned in Gaylor, Cox or K&K.  Can anyone tell me the significance of the cadets scroll?  It has been suggested it was an Officer Cadet Trg company badge in WW1 but I have been unable to find any reference to such a units existance.

You will find this badge in K & K in Volume Two,Under OTC/Cadet Corps Badges,of which it is an example,used by London Cadets affiliated to the 5th London Regiment.

A much restruck badge but usually copied in white metal (as the usual 5th Lonson's were) without the voids.

All,

And here's one for the record. Unvoided around the central shield and the lower scroll. I'm not sure if the cadets version also came as an unvoided issue as the regulars certainly comes in both forms as does the post-WW1. I've only ever seen the voided version.

Two things to look out for in the re-strike as shown on the picture, the rough stamping to the top left of the central shield and the horrible squirt of metal around the lower shield. Both the w/m and blackened version come with the same faults.

Keith