Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boisleux-au-Mont

ComradeBT

I'm trying to research events around the death of my Great Great Uncle who was killed at Boisleux-au-Mont on 23.03.1918

Details are very scarce but believe he was killed by enemy fire. I understand Boisleux-au-Mont was taken in spring/summer 1917, a year earlier, by advancing allied forces as part of the great push out of Arras from 9th April onwards. Was this village still a key frontline battle point in spring 1918, however and does anyone have any information relating to any battles or hostilities taking place around Boisleux-au-Mont on 23.03.1918?

Thanks.

hi

welcome to the forum.

Can you give us a name, regiment or any other info, service number etc

regards

Jon

from http://www.cpgw.org.uk/cwgc-cemeteries/sunken-road-cemetery-boisleux-st-marc/

Boisleux-St. Marc was occupied by Commonwealth troops in March 1917 following the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line. The 20th Casualty Clearing Station was established at Boisleux-au-Mont in June and the 43rd in November, but both had left by the end of March 1918. From April to almost the end of August part of Boisleux-St. Marc was once again in German hands. In September, October and November, six Casualty Clearing Stations were posted at Boisleux-au-Mont for shorts periods. Sunken Road Cemetery was called at one time "Boisleux-au-Mont British Cemetery". It was begun by the hospitals in May 1917 and used until July when it began to be shelled. Four burials were made in March 1918 and it was completed the following September and October. The cemetery contains 416 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, two of them unidentified, and four German war graves.

Hi Jon and thanks.

Lance Corporal Thomas Stafford (24169)

Royal Lancaster Regiment.

He is laid to rest at Bucouoy Road cemetery in nearby Ficheux.

Edited by ComradeBT

hi

I presume this chap

8th Battalion, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Lancaster in October 1914 as part of K3 and came under command of 76th Brigade, 25th Division.
Landed in France 27 September 1915.
15 October 1915 : Brigade moved to 3rd Division.

The Battle of St Quentin, The Battle of Bapaume, The First Battle of Arras 1918, The Battle of Estaires, The Battle of Hazebrouck, The Battle of Bethune, The Battle of Albert, The Second Battle of Bapaume, The Battle of the Canal du Nord, The Battle of Cambrai 1918, The Battle of the Selle.
11.11.1918 Ended the war near Solesmes, France.

First Name: Thomas
Surname: Stafford
Birth Town: Rawcliffe  
Lancashire
Resided Town: Fleetwood
Nationality: British
Date of Death: 23/03/1918
Fate: Died of Wounds
Service Number: 24169
Duty Location: France And Flanders
Edited by jonbem
detail pge

so as he died of wounds rather than KIA I suspect possibly in this action......and therefore probably at the casualty clearing station as mentioned previous post.

First Battles Of The Somme - Battle Of St. Quentin - 21/03/1918

Location: Guémappe. German victory. In the early morning of 21st March, the German Spring Offensive, 'Operation Michael' began, when German artillery launched the largest artillery bombardment of the war, swiftly followed by rapidly advancing shock troops, against the British Fifth Army, Third Army and units of the First Army stationed in and around St.

Quentin. Over 3.5 million shells were launched along a 40 miles (60km) front covering 150 sq miles (400 sq km) onto an area held by British Third and Fifth Armies.

The Armies held for as long as they could but faced with overwhelming numbers and broken communications the retreat was fractured. When the attack on Third Army came, 3rd Division on the left of VI Corps were holding the area from Guémappe towards Croiselles.

In the very north of the Operation Michael attack, the Division were not the worst affected of 21st-22nd March, but still suffered casualties as they held their front.

Edited by jonbem

Hi ComradeBT,

Thomas has surviving service papers on Findmypast - see here. They shows that he joined the 8th Battalion 'in the field' on 1st January 1917. They also show that he died as a result of wounds to his legs and groin, although a date of 24th March 1918 is recorded, rather than the 23rd.

The Battalion war diary is here (£3.45) from the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. The 76 Infantry Brigade HQ, and 3 Division HQ (general staff) diaries will give you a lot more contextual information. They are both available on Ancestry, or from the National Archives. Higher level diaries often contain things such as orders, reports on operations, and maps that aren't included with the Battalion diary.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hi ComradeBT,

I was finding a bit difficult reading the relevant part of his record.

Wounds.jpg.e8b257101288bff8d0a0b65d1826d8ab.jpg

What I think that it says is:

He had leave to the UK from 23rd December 1917 to 6th January 1918

136 Field Ambulance Scabies Station reported that he had returned to duty on 21st March 1918, having been admitted for 13 days suffering from scabies

136 Field Ambulance, or 136 Field Ambulance Scabies Station*1 reported that he died before admission (on 24th March) as a result of gun shot wounds*2 to his legs and groin; and a compound fracture of his right leg.

The officer commanding (8th) Battalion reported that he had died on 24th March 1918.

*1 - The 'Do' (ditto) would seem to imply 136 Field Ambulance Scabies Station. However part of 40 Division RAMC Order Number 56 of 20th March 1918 states that "136th. Field Ambulance will hand over the VI Corps Scabies Station to No. 8 Field Ambulance on the 23rd. March.". It also says "136th. Field Ambulance will take over the Right Sub-Sector, with Advance Dressing Station at HENIN (N.32.d.2.0) and H.Qrs. at BOISLEUX-AU-MONT (S.10. central) from No.8th. Field Ambulance on the evening of 23rd. March.".

It would seem that Thomas probably died being passed back through the early part of the evacuation chain. What I don't quite understand is why, given his injuries, he would have died en route to a scabies station, unless given the pressures imposed by the early days of the Kaiserschlacht Spring Offensive, they were accepting general casualties. What also seems to need to be explained away is that if he died on the way to 136 Field Ambulance, rather than the Corps Scabies Station, why? 136 FA came under the 40 Division arrangements, 8th Battalion, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) were part of 3 Division. Further research may help to clarify.

I may well have misinterpreted his record - especially the words that I read as 'scabies'. It would be interesting to know what other forum members think about my interpretation.

*2  - GSW is often used in records to encompass gun shot wounds, and shell/shrapnel wounds

Regards

Chris

If needed there is good advice on how to read trench maps on the LLT here

There is a map in the 3 Division HQ diary which appears to be helpful in showing the "3rd system" referred to in the Battalion war diary. It also shows the divisional boundary, and where Henin and Boisleux-au-Mont were relative to that.

Edited by clk

Thank you all for the information thus far. I will read through in greater detail tomorrow.

It appears Thomas may have died a day later than that officially recorded, unless he did pass away during the previous night en route to the 136 Field Ambulance. A compound fracture and wounds to leg & groin would suggest a shell explosion rather than gun shots?

By either cause, quite probably a slow and painful death.

• 1 year later...

Private Bob Davies

I am trying to find out more about the details of the days leading up to the 28th March 1918 when my great uncle Frank Davies 4318 1st Btn Welsh Guards was killed near Boyells. I believe on the 28th the Btn were in the area of Boisleax-Saint-Marc and Boiry-Becquerlle. I have visited this area, but time was very limited, I would have liked to have done more research there but it was not possible. Are there any war diaries for this Btn around that time, or trench maps to show where they were on that day. Any help and information would be appreciated.

Hi,

The diary for the 1st Bn Welsh Guards is here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. The Brigade diary is here or here; and the Division HQ diary here or here. I didn't see maps in any of the diaries. Hopefully you'll be able to find some place and trench names, and map references, and then find them in the selection of maps available from here.

Regards

Chris

12 hours ago, Bob Davies 102 said:

Private Bob Davies

I am trying to find out more about the details of the days leading up to the 28th March 1918 when my great uncle Frank Davies 4318 1st Btn Welsh Guards was killed near Boyells. I believe on the 28th the Btn were in the area of Boisleax-Saint-Marc and Boiry-Becquerlle. I have visited this area, but time was very limited, I would have liked to have done more research there but it was not possible. Are there any war diaries for this Btn around that time, or trench maps to show where they were n that day. Any help and information would be appreciated.

Not sure how much this will help, but two others from the Bn who died the previous day were found here:

51b.S.11.d.5.7

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101465077

68492EE0-7F63-4FE8-86CB-77EECF2F76E5.jpeg

4 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

The diary for the 1st Bn Welsh Guards is here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. The Brigade diary is here or here; and the Division HQ diary here or here. I didn't see maps in any of the diaries. Hopefully you'll be able to find some place and trench names, and map references, and then find them in the selection of maps available from here.

Regards

Chris