Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Hussars)

Guest garyjd

Sirs, I'm looking for pictoral references for this unit. I have found only one picture of a badge, although I'd like to see more. I know a lot of the shoulder titles consisted of names or just letters. It would be nice to have a picture of this, or at the very least just knowing what it is. Thank you.~Gary

Hi I have the Badges{ST/Collars & Buttons of Trooper Solomon Saunders a Long Serving Yeoman,I will Post Pictures as soon as I can extract them from the Case they are in!}

Prised them out especially for you!

post-23-1103295519.jpg

Gary,

Here's the badge, I beleive it also came with Kings Crown variations which proved unpopular so they reverted back to the one shown. Can't say if this is a genuine badge though.

Keith

Collar "Dogs" & Shoulder Titles.

post-23-1103295660.jpg

Presumably you are aware that they were lumbered with the title (derived from the initials) of "Queer Objects On Horseback"?

Adrian

His Sharpshooter's Sleeve Badge in Silver Bullion,with Crimson Oxfordshire Hussars Backing

post-23-1103295997.jpg

Buttons,NB: these are Marked Queen's Own OYC{Oxfordshire Yeomanry Cavalry}

post-23-1103296168.jpg

Presumably you are aware that they were lumbered with the title (derived from the initials) of "Queer Objects On Horseback"?

:lol: Must have been the Crimson!

And His Medals: He enlisted for Service in the 13th Coy;Imperial Yeomanry,For service in South Africa,with the Number 35649,earning the Queen's Medal & Three State Clasps{Cape Colony,Orange Free State & Transvaal,Along with the Two Dated Bars}.After South Africa he returned to Service with a Family Based in Henley~on~Thames & London,as a Groom He Joined the QOOYC/QOOH with the Number 1122 after Serving in South Africa, & was embodied the outbreak of WW1,Going to France with them in September 1914,Serving throughout the War ,as a Trooper{private}he was demoblised in 1919.He had also earned the TFEM {L/Cpl}WW1 Medals Marked "Oxf.Yeo."

post-23-1103296742.jpg

Harry, I can't not thank you enough for going through the trouble of photographing your collection. Those are some beautiful pieces. I really do appriacite it.~Gary