Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trade Insignia

andy1400

I have a photo of a relative in desert uniform, he served in Palestine. Above his Corporal stripes he has a badge which I believe must be some sort of trade or proficiency badge. I think he was in the ASC. Would anybody have any ideas as to what it might be or know of a website where I might be able to look at pictures of Army badges and try to identify it. I cannot put the picture on the site as the badge is not that clear but can just about be seen with a magnifying glass.

Hi Andy,

It will be difficult to identify given that you need a magnifying glass to see it and we do not even have a discription :D

If you can either describe or scan and post the picture it will be much easier and will lead to a wider number of responses .

Roop

I can just about make it out. If I could look at some pictures I may be able to match it up, thats why I thought that there may be a website with badges on it. It could be something like a hammer and horseshoe.

Thanks for the info. Do you know where I could find pictures of these badges, because the more I look at it I start to see all of the things you listed. A view of these badges might make it easier.

Andy,

Perhaps these illustrations might help,

Bryan

post-23-1103205091.jpg

That last picture kind of small - not sure how big forum will accept - will try again..........

Bryan

post-23-1103205332.jpg

Thanks Bryan. There is now a group of five of us at work trying to decipher the picture. The diagrams are a great help.

Cheers

Andy

Andy et al,

The booklet I took that picture from is called: "Rank at a Glance in the Army & Navy" & it ws published sometime during WWI. I am thinking about 1916 or so.

I have found it very valuable for ID'ing some of those early trade badges.

I can post close ups if any req'd.

Keep us posted on this 'mystery badge' by all means!

Bryan

For RC Sigs,

Tom,

I have recd yr msg in regards to the pictures of the trade badges - but am unable to respond thru the forum - msg cannot be sent.

Pls e mail me at rncvr@sympatico.ca

Thanks,

Bryan