Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

can anyone help with this ?

veklee

Very odd handwriting - is there anything else in the same handwriting? Are you expecting a man's or woman's name? I read the first name as "Marjorie", and the second as "?eakins", but possibly "Jenkins".

William

Edited by WilliamRev

It is hard to decipher without any other writing by the same hand to compare it with.

so is it majorie meakins /meakin     this is in soldiers effects the soldier is leonard powell Clapham

thanks

barry

Do you know who the lady is? Could it be his mother [remarried] or common law wife?

Marjorie Meakins?

On the 1911 census, there's a probationer nurse of that name at Hither Green Hospital, Lewisham, 

can u see leonard p Clapham on the 1911 census ? I'm sure in the distant past ive found him but changed computer  his mother was living in Swindon in 1911

thanks again

10 hours ago, IPT said:

Boarding at 20 Grantham St, Lincoln, I think.

well done that man thanks barry

I don't seem able to find him CWGC with a death date of 1st July. What regiment was he with?

Edited by johnboy

MIC shows a Leonard P Clapham 3/3536 Yorkshire Light Infantry. Looks like a special reservist.

Alan.

59 minutes ago, johnboy said:

I don't seem able to find him CWGC with a death date of 1st July. What regiment was he with?

try this

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/760174/CLAPHAM, LEONARD POWELL

Edited by Alan24
broken link

Thanks. Found him. Some of his service record from 1900 to 1912 is on FMP. No mention of Marjorie. Possible marriage to Beatrice Bisset in 1911.

hi johnboy if he had married wouldnt it b on his service papers ? he gives an address of 137 winn st Lincoln for his place after discharge but this does not appear as this on census 1911 I wondered if Marjorie might be an born out of wedlock or is his girlfriend but I think there is one girl born 1910.

I ve had his qsa for years and just got the bwm 

The effects records were paid out on the back of a will so he could have left it anyone he wished, not specifically a relative. Usually with a relative there would be a prefix given - Mo (mother), Wid (widow) etc.

His will is available but it may not add much (the amount of detail in them, is variable) - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/ShoppingBasket/Add/451182?isGrantSearch=False&surname=clapham&yearOfDeath=1916&page=1&sort=Surname&sortDir=ASC&advancedSearch=False

Marriages etc aren't always shown in surviving records as many are far from complete.

Craig

If he married after 1912 it would not be on service record , unless you have a service record for him after then?

Between 1910 and 1916 there are only 2 apparent marriages for a Leonard Clapham - neither of them to a Marjorie.

Craig