The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Blauport Farm

Eastmar

Trying to find location of Blauport Farm as refered to in war diary of 9th Division 52 Bde Royal Field Artillery Nov 11th 1915. Any help would be appreciated.

There is Zwarteleenstraat south east of Ypres near Hill 60. Zwarteleenstraat, 8902 Ieper, Belgium

https://goo.gl/maps/kK7hqVZx8JB2

Hill 60 is a World War I battlefield memorial site and park in the Zwarteleen area of Zillebeke south of Ypres, Belgium. It is located about 4.6 kilometres from the centre of Ypres and directly on the railway line to Comines

The 2nd Battalion King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) in Feb 1915

On the 19th they were holding the trenches at Zwarteleen. This transcript of the War Diary starts on the evening of the 19th:

"19th 10.00 p.m. - 20th 4.00 a.m.

The Battalion was relieved partly by E. Yorks Regt. and partly by K.O.Y.L.I. with the exception of ‘B’ who remained in the trenches. The remainder of the battalion moved as follows. H.Q.s A, D, & ½ C Coys. to BLAUPORT FARM in the Right Section of the Brigade Line, in support; ½ C Coy. to ‘dug-outs’ behind the right fire trenches. The relief was not completed until 4.00 a.m. on the 20th.

hope that helps
regards
Jon

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I found this photo on the Belgian Navy site (Belgian-navy.be). It appears to have been taken from the lip of hill 60 looking back along the curve of the railway line across the Dump and Larch Wood cemetery. If I've got my bearings correct Blauwe Poort Farm is visible (as no more than a smudge) between the two large trees on the left. The photo is very small and I'd love to find a larger version as it gives a perspective of the importance of Hill 60 which is impossible to get today. I'm not sure when it was taken unfortunately, but the cemetery appears to be complete.

Pete.

58e2b4480eef0_LarchWoodandtheRailwayfromHill60(Belgian-navy.be).jpg.c393f4a0534637273f51bf32bf0980a6.jpg

Thanks Pete.