Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire Regiment 2nd VB

7t2ndswinger

Rather than gatecrashing Max's w/m example of a Bedfordshire Regiment badge on another posting, I'm going to put forward the case for this badge being genuine despite first impressions thinking it was a lashed up restrike.

1. Taking Max's badge as an example, not many replies with an affirmitive answer or others' revealing one in their collection also. Therefore it appears to be a rare badge and the restrike merchants would have two bites at the cherry by replicating both. The only minor differnce is the small area underneath the garter buckle.

2. The scroll which is a slightly darker metal is beautifully stamped and you have to ask why it's attached like it is. From memory I can't think of another VB badge which has a scroll over another part of the badge, ie they're usually plaques or scrolls attached above, below, in voids or just different wording in place of the regulars battle honours. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. If the scroll was attached by braizing over this very uneven part of the badge there would be the possibility of braize flooding all ove the place nd ruining the appearance.

3. Loops rather than a slider. Most other VB badges I have or have seen tend to have sliders, usually Gaunt style branded or not.

My only doubt is the pristine appearance but then most of the later Beds/Herts badges tend to be also.

(My apologies if this posting has already come up with different wording but the original upload failed)

Your thoughts please? Thank you

Keith

I wouldn't be happy with this.

I would be pleased if an expert came along and said 'yeah, it's good'.

But gut feeling says, someone's been playing......

Graeme

Keith,

An interesting badge if only because I have never seen an example like it. The loops are correct if nothing else. Most restrike VBs have sliders and I believe these are incorrect - all the genuine VB badges in auctions with their guarantee of originality I have ever seen have loops. I would not be worried about the different garter buckle as I have seen both square and round ones onthe regular badges however I do not like the scroll at all. It looks like it has been added later as the originals should have been a one piece stamping and it is a lot of trouble for the manafacturer to go to by adding an extra scroll when he could have stamped it in one go in the first place. I am not a VB expert so would be interested if anyone else has seen one like it.

The Badge looks correct in construction,seperate VB scrolls would have been used to facilitate the Various Battalions using the Same Base Badge{therefore cutting down the Cost of having a seperate Die/Dies for Each VB Battalion's Complete badge,}My only cause for concern is the Size of the Metal Rods Affixing the VB Scroll,The 3rdVB Example I've Posted below has Smaller White Metal Pins,but that may just be a Manufacturing Difference/Expedience;The "Braze" Colour @ the Base of the Loops looks in the Picture anyway to be the Right Colour,Its Only "Agin" is its Newness in appearance,But that is not to say it was preserved from Issue,as Many 1st Badges were!

post-23-1103203393.jpg

And the Reverse[Please Remember this is only My opinion! ;) }

post-23-1103203631.jpg

An interesting badge if only because I have never seen an example like it.

Like Buses none for ages then two come along together! ;)