Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hummersknott Park, Darlington

SMG65

Does anyone have any information/pictures/maps of Hummersknott Park in Darlington.

Pre war it was a training camp for the Territorial Forces but during the war a number of units were stationed there.

Sean

SMG65

1/4th Bn East Yorkshire Regiment were there from 17 August to 16 September , 1914 after which they were sent to Newcastle.  The first part of their war diary covers the time there and is worth a read

See TNA WO95 2834/1. It is also on Ancestry if you have an account.

TR

Terry

Thank you.

I shall have a look.

Sean

Check the local period newspapers in the Library at Darlington, as I think I saw some photos of the camp in one of them, many years ago. I live in Mowden, which as you will know is not far from Hummersknott and before they built the new houses on the fields close to Baydale Beck, one of the sets of old stone gate posts used to have the War Department arrow on it, indicating military use, as I believe the Camp that was originally based there, was used by the pre-War Yeomanry, during their summer camps.

During the War the 15th(Res)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers were stationed there for a short while.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Graham

Good to hear from you.

I haven't seen you in ages, even though we live 400 yards apart!

I'm looking into Hummersknott Park on behalf of a History teacher at Hummersknott School who is keen on the Great War.

I haven't found any pics in the Northern Despatch, but have some of soldiers digging trenches over Haughton way and it states they were stationed at Hummersknott.

I'm aware 150 Brigade were there and will have a look at 4th East Yorks war diary and 5 DLI's.

I know some Staffs battalions were there in 1916.

I'll keep digging.

The area all along Coniscliffe Road was also a camping area for the British Army en route to Culloden in 1746.

Sean

• 6 years later...

A bit of a delayed reply but did anyone manage to get any photos of the camp? I’d love to see them if so.

Cheers

Iain