Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Gassed Loyal North Lanc

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

Could anyone please help me ? I'm looking for any information I can for my friend. This Chap is his Great Grandfather. It is Pte Daniel Shenton 15133 2nd Battalion Loyal North Lancs and later Pte 81554 Royal Defence Corps. He is entitled to the 14-15 Star, BWM, and Victory Medal. His MIC says he entered F&F 26-9-15. He died in 1919 and his Death Certificate states died of the results of Wartime Gas ! He is buried in Philips Park Cemetery East Manchester, He has no Military Headstone and is not on CWGC.Is there on the 2nd LNL being gassed and any information to help in anyway would be great.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim.

Are you certain about his being a 2/Loyals soldier? This battalion served from 1914-18 in East Africa, Egypt and Palestine and didn't go to France until May 26th 1918 (making his MIC wrong for a 2/Loyals soldier).

However, the 2/Loyals would have come across gas several times during their stay in France, but the Regimental History mentions one particular instance - September 4th 1918. The battalion was located near to the Vierstraat Switch (approx. 3 miles S.W. of Ypres) and was "all day" subjected to a continuous bombardment of Mustard and Lachrymatory gasses.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave.

Hi Dave, :)

I fell into an old mistake of mine by stating F&F when I meant to say his MIC entitlement for his 14-15 Star was 26-9-15 and looking at the MIC again it doesn't state 2nd I don't think it states a Battalion. Sorry for the mis-information.

Cheers

Tim.