Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette date for M.C. citation

Guest Michael Green Halifax

Guest Michael Green Halifax

I'm trying to find a London gazette entry that contains the citation for the award of an M.C. to Temp. Capt. Arthur Walker of the 21st. West Yorkshire Regt. (Wool Textile Pioneers).

His award is listed, but with no citation. or other details, on page 42 of Gazette no. 29886, dated 1 January 1917, as the third suppliment to L/G of 29th. December 1916.

From the report of his subsequent award of his MSM (in 1950 for pre WW1 service), and from his obituary, it is reported that "He was awarded the Military Cross for gallentry in action involved in the Battle of The Somme 1916".

I've searched the on line London Gazette entries (as much as you can on line) but cannot find more details or the citation.

can anyone help with where I might find more info please?

Thanks MG.

Alas, you are most unlikely to find a citation and certainly not in the LG. The New Year's and Birthday Honours Lists merely announced the award, which was generally for outstanding performance over a period of time rather than for a specific act of gallantry.

Charles M

I'm trying to find a London gazette entry that contains the citation for the award of an M.C. to Temp. Capt. Arthur Walker of the 21st. West Yorkshire Regt. (Wool Textile Pioneers).

His award is listed, but with no citation. or other details, on page 42 of Gazette no. 29886, dated 1 January 1917, as the third suppliment to L/G of 29th. December 1916.

From the report of his subsequent award of his MSM (in 1950 for pre WW1 service), and from his obituary, it is reported that "He was awarded the Military Cross for gallentry in action involved in the Battle of The Somme 1916".

I've searched the on line London Gazette entries (as much as you can on line) but cannot find more details or the citation.

can anyone help with where I might find more info please?

Thanks MG.

Sadly Your Chap's MC was Promulgated in the New Years Honours List* of The London Gazette & as a Consequence these rarely have the Citations Published @ a Later Date ,as Happens with those Published "Normally" in the Gazette[*This also happens with "Birthday Honours"ie those Promulgated on the King's Official Birthday] So unless you are fortunate enough to find a Citation ,or Recommendation in the Battalion,Brigade or Division War Diary{Around & after the "Somme" date you give}Or in a Contemporary Newspaper from his Home Town,then unfortunately you may never discover exactly why he was so Honoured,Just rest assured that for some reason he stood out from his Peers & was brought to notice. :(

In cases where there is a 'citation' in the LG, it is just that, a few lines. Harry, you mentioned 'recommendation' and I've heard the term 'commendation'. Am I right in thinking this was the more detailed description written by the superior officer. Do any of these actually survive.

J

In cases where there is a 'citation' in the LG, it is just that, a few lines. Harry, you mentioned 'recommendation' and I've heard the term 'commendation'. Am I right in thinking this was the more detailed description written by the superior officer. Do any of these actually survive.

J

The Citations that are published differ from the " Continued Gallant Work........." to around 10~20 Lines,as they do for the DCM,"Recommendations"* for want of a Better word Do not I fear survive in official Sources,other than those that are in the War diaries etc,Press releases sometimes do give a Fuller account,but often depend on the Journalist author & his enthusiasm.

Commendations in the form of Regimental,Brigade or Divisional commendations for Gallantry Etc; do often give a Good write up of an act{A search for "Adnitt" on this Forum will find a transcript of such a Certificate awarded to a Messenger of the 2nd Northamptonshire Regt,for Gallantry in Delivering Messages in Bright Icy Conditions under Heavy Fire~~He did not receive any other Award,however these were sometimes precursors to further Awards}

* as those for the AFC,DFC for WW2 which are very comprehensive & often run to a page or two