Pte Thomas Sullivan, Royal Irish Regiment

PaulC78

Found this man in the Irish Death Registers while looking for someone else:

29 November 1915, St Patrick's Hospital, Cork
Thomas Sullivan, of Drummond, St Anne's, Co Cork
Male, Bachelor, 23 years
Private R.I. Regt.
Pulmonary Tuberculosis 1 month, 11 days in hospital

I don't see him listed on CWGC, in fact I'm struggling to find any other records for him. Perhaps someone else will have more luck?

There's no obvious Thomas Sullivan in the effects register that I can see.

The nearest man in the Irish soldiers wills that I can see is #84513 but he died in August 1915.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I think this is him and that he wasn't still a serving soldier at the time of his death.

#10456, born 1892 in Cork. Discharged at Netley on 2 Mar 1915 as no longer physically fit due to Tuberculosis. Family lived in St Annes, Cork.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007283734%2f01251&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7283734%2f104%2f1248

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Tuberculosis:

His service records state: Not the result of ordinary military service but has been aggravated by service in a debilitating climate.

His death registration stating  Pulmonary Tuberculosis 1 month, 11 days in hospital seems a little odd (a very short time) but I suggest his case warrants some investigation as he may be eligible for CWGC commemoration.

CGM

Thanks to both of you. That service record looks good and I think he might be eligible, but is there a strong enough link with the death registration? I'm not sure.

Can either of you find him in the medal rolls? His record says he served in India until Feb 1915 so I assume he would have been awarded campaign medals.

Can either of you find him in the medal rolls? His record says he served in India until Feb 1915 so I assume he would have been awarded campaign medals.

BWM and VM I'd imagine but he seems to have vanished from army records when he was discharged - there should be a war gratuity entry out there somewhere as well.

Craig

7 hours ago, CGM said:

Tuberculosis:

His service records state: Not the result of ordinary military service but has been aggravated by service in a debilitating climate.

His death registration stating  Pulmonary Tuberculosis 1 month, 11 days in hospital seems a little odd (a very short time) but I suggest his case warrants some investigation as he may be eligible for CWGC commemoration.

CGM

I am having second thoughts about mt comment re the short time noted in his death registration.

I read it as Pulmonary Tuberculosis 1 month. (Full stop). 11 days in hospital.

I now think it reads 1 month (and) 11 days in hospital.

it is quite feasible that he was cared for at home for as long as his family could cope, before spending his last few weeks in hospital.

CGM

Aggravated by service should be enough.  If he served only in India he would have only the British War Medal.

I've passed his details on to Terry Denham, he will go forward.