Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

Ferndale

It's the strap and motto from (I think) the Order of the Garter, complete with Victorian crown and cypher, so might not refer to a specific regiment. If it does, my money might go to the Household Cavalry in some dimension.

Hi, it would seem the motto was used by several Regiments during WW1 or I suppose it could be WW2 on their cap badges, the Household cavalry I think used ER on theirs. I cant decipher the letters in the middle to identify it?

Edited by Ferndale
Unsure of date

The crown/coronet seems to have eight half arches (five visible) and hence is an Imperial crown. I would start looking at the regiments and corps of the Indian Army. I can see V R in the cypher but I'm not sure about the I.

Is it perhaps a sabretache badge?

Ron

I think it's just 'VR', which would date it to pre-1877 (I think), so not Great War and certainly not Second World War.

Might not even be military. What is the attachment - does it have a strap, or something to hang it from, or buckle?

16 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Is it perhaps a sabretache badge?

Ron

Only a cap badge if you' ve got four legs.

It' s a horse facepiece.

Worn on the forehead.

Not on the forehead, it's been a long time since badges were worn there.  It's a breastplate badge:  https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/53691420528620692/

if that doesn't work then here: https://sk.pinterest.com/pin/522980575448934936/

Edited by FROGSMILE

48 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

think it's just 'VR', which would date it to pre-1877

I thought about that, but then it would not have had an Imperial crown.

Ron

Consensus then that's its a Victorian Horse Breast Plate pre 1877 which presumably would have used on a horse belonging to a Mounted Horse Guard or Cavalry rather than just available for general use?

Well, what size is it?

3 hours ago, Ferndale said:

Consensus then that's its a Victorian Horse Breast Plate pre 1877 which presumably would have used on a horse belonging to a Mounted Horse Guard or Cavalry rather than just available for general use?

Yes.  Breastplate badges of that style were peculiar to the then 3-regiments of Household Cavalry, the 1st and 2nd Life Guards and the Royal Horse Guards.

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 hours ago, Ferndale said:

Interestingly it does not have the straps attached to it like the one attached shown with link to page it just has a hole in the back where a stud or fixing seems to have been?1901-queen-victoria-household-cavalry_360_b840d3dc12f30df1046c8659d7421a2e.jpg0.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1901-queen-victoria-household-cavalry-305617430

The leather straps were secured by round pins so that the whole device could pivot and flex as the animals body moved. It was not meant to be a strait-jacket.  Once the pins and straps are removed the remaining leather plate is an ideal wall mounting on which to present the device, forming a natural frame that also presents it as it was seen in its working life.

Edited by FROGSMILE