Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Memorial Cross

stephenh

I have a Canadian Memorial Cross to 1081677 SPR AE GREEN. On searching through the CWGC database I find no record of death. Any ideas??

Stephen

Guest Hill 60

Jean, my much better half, has a Canadian Memorial Cross in her collection and we couldn't find him on the CWGC, NA of Canada or the CEF Roll of Honour.

She found out that the WWI Crosses could be issued much later (I think the one she has was issued in the early 30's) if death was attributed to war wounds/injuries etc.

Guest Hill 60
I also have a death plaque to a person who was a Belgian serving with the Canadians but no sign on CWGC any ideas Pals ?

Conor - Sorry for the double posting I didn't read yours fully.

What is your man's name?

Jean, my much better half, has a Canadian Memorial Cross in her collection and we couldn't find him on the CWGC, NA of Canada or the CEF Roll of Honour.

She found out that the WWI Crosses could be issued much later (I think the one she has was issued in the early 30's) if death was attributed to war wounds/injuries etc.

I think the feeling is mutual !!! 2 crosses and 1 plaque any ideas about the plaque would be gratefully received and how to go about getting some more information on when he died.

Conor :D

No problems Lee ! I thought he was a Belgian entitled to a british death plaque that didn't add up but I asked on the forum I them looked up the Canadian records to see and found him the only guy with the 2nd name Colpin (his 1st name was Emile)

Guest Hill 60
No problems Lee ! I thought he was a Belgian entitled to a british death plaque that didn't add up but I asked on the forum I them looked up the Canadian records to see and found him the only guy with the 2nd name Colpin (his 1st name was Emile)

Conor - Sorry Pal, I've looked through my copy of the CEF Roll of Honour but can't find the name. Doesn't mean my book is right though!

Have a look at him on the CEF records website it is definitley him. I will try ordering the papers from Canada I presume they are the same as the papers in the PRO/NA in Kew ?

Guest Hill 60

Not quite the same. I got 20 pages of paperwork on my great grandfather, and I've averaged about 15 pages per soldier I've researched. The Canadians have a great archive.

The Canadian Memorial Cross was (and is) issued to all those who were killed or died of wounds related to their service. Sometimes LONG after the conclusion of the war. The emblem of GV, GVI or EII, will elude to the time frame in which the cross was issued...usually.

I had recently researched a "mothers cross" recipient who died in a military hospital in the late 1940's of wounds related to his service in 1917. He received the GV cross, even though GVI was King. There are instances of early WWII casualties (such as thoes killed at Dieppe, who were issued the GV Cross).

The complete service record from Ottawa's NA will confirm the date and cause of death for you.

Good luck

David