Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWGC Registers

Terry Denham

I thought that I would share this with members as I am quite chuffed at finally obtaining a copy of this document (Ebay purchase!).

It has been mentioned several times on the Forum that the relatives of the fallen were sent Final Verification Forms by IWGC so that they could correct the info held on each casualty and to allow the n-o-k to add any further details. Some n-o-k returned the forms, some didn't and some didn't receive the form.

Once returned, the FVFs were used to produce registers of the dead for virtually every IWGC cemetery in the world.

The document below is proof that the Commission went even further in their attempt to get the facts right. This is a subsequent leaflet sent to relatives of those buried in a particular cemetery giving them the opportunity to buy (3/- or 15p today) a copy of the register with their loved one's name in it. However, it also bears a proof copy of the casualty's entry and, on the opposite page, asks the relatives to correct any of the information shown 'within 10 days'. It also states that known corrections would already be marked in pencil and this copy has such a correction.

This is the first copy of this document that I have seen. I assume that it was sent to all those who returned a completed FVF. It is also interesting to note that the widow of this casualty buried in Palestine appears to have renamed her house after the place where he presumably died - 'Ramleh'.

post-19-1103132286.jpg

Terry,

Thanks for sharing that with us and I am glad that you finally got one, well done.

Andy

As a further thought...

This entry also shows the 'Cause of Death' information held by CWGC for a small number of WW1 casualties - in this case simply 'KiA'. This is the only database info held by CWGC which does not appear on the website.

Sorry if you were one of the other bidders - with the R.Sussex connection!

It's okay Terry; I was also interested in the Crawley connection as that is my old home town.

I thought you were one of the bidders and held off; it is better off with you and I already have some copies of one of these anyway.