Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Messines Ridge June 7, 1917 Commemoration

17107BM

Hello all.

I would be interested if any Forum members have any information on the subject of the Commemoration of the Battle of Messines Ridge. As yet, I have not come across any plans for it on the tourist sites for the region.

Any help welcome.

Cheers Pals.

Hello all.
Some information here. Doubt there will be much Forum interest in the Centenary given it's a ANZAC thing.

Thanks all. 

Oh no it isn't just an Anzac thing. There are (at least) 3 official commemorative events on 7 June.  First is the NZ ceremony, then the Australian, and the third is the British and Irish event.

Hello Gareth.

Apologies, a bit of a blinkered view on my part. Was thinking of how many  Great War Forum members there from down under,  and how many could actually make the trip.

Welcome any links you have for the Commemorations Pal.

Cheers Sir.

• 1 month later...

There are a number of events that I am aware of, though this is not an exhaustive list and I don't have a lot of information...

1. ANZAC/ New Zealand ceremony at 8am in the Messine Ridge Cemetery in Messines.

2. Irish/ British Ceremony at the Island of Ireland Peace Park and Round Tower in Messines at 14.00. This appears to be a ticketed event, you can apply via the dfa website.

3. Commemoration event in Whytschaete at the 16th Irish Div Cross at 16.00.