Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tanks at Wailly

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

The Tank Corps seems to have had a school/centre at Wailly. Does anyone know whether this was at the Wailly near Fruges; the Wailly near Beaumetz-les-Loges or the Wailly just south of Amiens?

Thanks

Simon Bull

• 1 year later...

Sorry Simon, not "a tank expert" but I looked up my faithful Gibot / Gorczynski which says "Wailly near Arras". Does that help? Presumably Beaumetz SW of Arras.

I've just noticed your first post was 2003!!!! I expect you had this answer long ago, on some distant planet

Cheers

Graham

Gosh, Wailly near Arras is actually only 6 km from the city (see attached map). I did not think they were that close. I was under the impression it might have been the Wailly that is about 50 km due east of Montreuil-sur-Mer.

Robert

post-1473-1114806416.jpg

Gosh, Wailly near Arras is actually only 6 km from the city (see attached map).  I did not think they were that close.  I was under the impression it might have been the Wailly that is about 50 km due east of Montreuil-sur-Mer.

With the Central Workshops at Erin, signal training at Fleury, the maintenance school and Corps HQ at Bermicourt, as Robert suggests, the Wailly east of Montreuil and just west of Fruges would perhaps be more likely.

Gary

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks to all those who were kind enough to answer - I still have not definitively answered the question, the difficulty of which is apparent from the disparate views expressed. If I ever get a definitive answer I shall try to remember to post it.

Simon et al

The Wailly referred to is the one 6km from Arras without a doubt.

7th Gordons were billeted in Hauteville from 29 Oct. 1917 to 17 Nov. 1917 and on 8 Nov. practiced with Tanks at Wailly.

Wailly is very near Beaumetz-en-Loges and it was at Beaumetz that the Battalion entrained on 17.11.17 to be taken to their assembly position prior to the attack at Cambrai. Their Route-of-March to Beaumetz was from Hauteville - Foseux - Gouy - Monchiet - Beaumetz.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Guest Simon Bull
Simon et al

The Wailly referred to is the one 6km from Arras without a doubt.

7th Gordons were billeted in Hauteville from 29 Oct. 1917 to 17 Nov. 1917 and on 8 Nov. practiced with Tanks at Wailly.

Wailly is very near Beaumetz-en-Loges and it was at Beaumetz that the Battalion entrained on 17.11.17 to be taken to their assembly position prior to the attack at Cambrai. Their Route-of-March to Beaumetz was from Hauteville - Foseux - Gouy - Monchiet - Beaumetz.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Thanks Jim.

This makes a lot of sense - I am sure I have read several references to Beaumetz--en-Loges in the Tank Corps diary.