Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Discharged to Commission 11.12.16'

BillyH

I have seen this sort of note quite a few times on M.I.C's or medal rolls and I have never quite satisfied myself as to whether the date would be when the soldier was discharged from the ranks to train as an officer or if it was the date he was commissioned as an officer.

Any expert help would be appreciated.

BillyH.

1 hour ago, BillyH said:

I have seen this sort of note quite a few times on M.I.C's or medal rolls and I have never quite satisfied myself as to whether the date would be when the soldier was discharged from the ranks to train as an officer or if it was the date he was commissioned as an officer.

Any expert help would be appreciated.

BillyH.

How does the date compare to the date of commission shown in the LG ?

Craig

It was normally the day before the date of his commission. I think the purpose was to formalise the "terms and conditions of service". His original attestation would have been on a twelve-year engagement, divided between Colour and Reserve service, and this would officially be brought to an end, before his new "employment contract" as an officer began.

Ron

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

How does the date compare to the date of commission shown in the LG ?

Actual dates were :

Medal Roll : disch to commission 27.11.17

London Gazette 21.12.17

BillyH.

Is 21.12.17 the date of publication of that issue of the LG? If so, it might be worth looking at the actual entry, which normally quoted a "with effect from" date for the actual commission - in this case, probably 28.11.17.

Ron

According to his papers, my Great Uncle was Discharged to Commission on 21 November 1916. According to the Gazette he became a 2nd Lieutenant with effect from 22 November 1916, which confirms the above statements.

Martin

My grandfather was discharged from being a Private in the 5th Scottish Rifles, Territorial Force, on 29 January 1916, and commissioned into 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers on 30 January 1916, which again confirms the above posts.

William

Edited by WilliamRev

23 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Is 21.12.17 the date of publication of that issue of the LG? If so, it might be worth looking at the actual entry, which normally quoted a "with effect from" date for the actual commission - in this case, probably 28.11.17.

Thanks for that Ron.

Yes 21.12.17 was the date of publication, it was a pretty long list of commissions and having gone back to the previous page there is a note at the start saying :

"The undermentioned Cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. 28 Nov 1917"

Thanks for all the help,  BillyH.