Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
MaxD

Royal Artillery Museum update mid March 2017

MaxD

The following update regarding the Royal Artillery Museum as at mid March 2017 may be of use.  Most will be aware that Firepower, the Museum of the Royal Artillery at Woolwich, closed in December 2016.  The collections are in storage pending the development of a new Royal Artillery Museum.  The museum will be housed in a new Salisbury Plain Heritage Centre to be built at Larkhill which will engage with the military history, natural heritage and archaeological features of Salisbury Plain.  Application has been made for funding to the Heritage Lottery Fund and concept designs have been produced.

Some 10% of the RA Museum’s Library and Archive has been settled in temporary accommodation at Larkhill and a full time archivist has been at work since November last year.  Updates to the web site http://www.salisburyplainheritagecentre.com/ detailing the limited access and research possibilities are imminent.  However, the archivist Sian Mogridge is happy to take initial enquiries at sm@salisburyplainheritagecentre.com

In common with the majority of regimental museums, the RA Museum does not hold service records for individuals.

Max

brianmorris547

Max

Thank you for posting this, I will certainly pay visit. Please note everyone that when I tried to open the Sian Mogridge link my computer anti virus warned me not to.

Brian

David Porter

The 10% so far transferred includes the following:

Battery Digests of Service (c.1890-1939) - but not batteries formed during WW1

- 15 boxes covering A to Z Batteries RHA
- 34 boxes covering 1 to 121 Field Batteries (including one box labelled ‘Misc RFA Btys’)
- 8 boxes covering 1 to 28 Medium Batteries
- 8 boxes covering 1 to 33 Heavy Batteries
- 1 box labelled ‘LAA Btys 1-4 & Misc’
- 1 box covering 1 to 11 Ammunition Columns, India
- 1 box labelled ‘AA Btys 1-19 Pre-War’
- 1 box labelled ‘Depot Bd & Btys / Ammn Cols India / Riding Est. / Misc Minor Units’ 
Annual Historical Returns (similar to the Digests of Service, but c.1945 onwards)
Gun Handbooks
Gun Training Pamphlets
Gunner Magazine (1919-2016)
Royal Artillery Journal (c.1860 – 2014)
Royal Artillery News (1899-1970)
Royal Artillery Distribution List (1868-1938)
Regimental ‘Blue’ Officers’ Lists (early copies, from 1904)
WWII Tracer Cards (on microfilm)

There are some batteries formed during WW1 that have their Digests of Service with the War Diaries.

The rest of the archive is awaiting the installation of mobile shelving before it can be moved, so could be some time.

The good news is that they will allow cameras for a £20 fee per day in addition to the £20 per day access fee.

Access is only being granted to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The good news is that they will allow cameras for a £12.50 fee per day in addition to the £12.50 per day access fee.

Access is now granted to the public most weekdays.

Booking up to a month in advance is advised because the archive is now on an Army base and passes for cars and people need to be generated.

I've had no problem emailing Sian, who has taken on this enormous task, but she may be slow to respond.

We are lucky that this archive is being made available so soon after leaving Woolwich. Please be patient during the transitional period.

Edited by David Porter
Updated information

MaxD

Brian - so did mine but I decided it was being it was being overzealous and if you can't trust the Royal Artillery then who can you trust.  (at the same time I'm keeping a weather eye on my computer!)

David - Very useful additional info and yes Sian is very helpful.

Max

Maureene

A Facebook post, on Royal Artillery Museum Archive,  indicates that further archives have become available from April 2018

The total archives available, most of which seem to be included in post 3  above are

• Battery Digests of Service (peace-time details of the activities of individual Batteries, c.1890-1939)
• Annual Historical Returns (as with the Digests of Service, but c.late 1940s onwards, and also include details for Regiments)
• Most of the WWI War Diary collection
• Part of the ‘MD’ collection (personal papers of former Gunners)
• Part of the ‘AL’ collection (photos and photograph albums)
• Gun Handbooks
• Gun Training Pamphlets
• Gunner Magazine (1919-2016)
• Royal Artillery Journal (c.1860 – 2014)
• Royal Artillery News (1899-1970)
• Royal Artillery Distribution List (1868-1938)
• Regimental ‘Blue’ Officers’ Lists (early copies, from 1904)
• WWII Tracer Cards (on microfilm)
• Establishment Lists

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalArtilleryArchive/posts/2453523718306914

The email address for enquiries is enquiries  @royalartillerymuseum.com. (copy and paste and join together so that there is no gap)

Cheers

Maureen

ForeignGong

Hi

Sorry to cut in here, is there a museum there or not. I 'm visiting the UK in late Feb-Mar 2019 and when I was there in 2016 it had just closed.

Hope you can advise me.

cheers

Peter

MaxD

There is not yet a museum in the sense of a new building replacing the one a Woolwich closed in 2016.  The artefacts,  guns, shells, uniforms, medals and so on, are in storage.   The things that are listed are all archived written/printed material.  These are housed in rooms borrowed from the Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill and may, subject to prior notice, be visited for research.  As your visit is next year, and depending on what you wanted to achieve, I would advise contacting them towards the end of this year.

Max