Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CCS # 10 and #17 July 31st/Aug. 1917

hazelclark

In trolling through the Forum and Google, I am starting to think that the War Diaries for CCS 10 and 17 may still be available.  However, I can't find anything definitive.  I had thought that most of them had been destroyed. In that my grandfather, Andrew Clark #10260 8th Seaforth Highlanders, lost his arm to gangrene after lying out in N.M.Land at some point over the period of July 31st/ August something, I would love to know if these diaries would hold any mention.  I do have a copy of a notice which indicates to which CC Stations various types of wounded were to be taken.  It says that all X1X Corps wounded from the front area should be taken to CCSs numbers 10 17 and Can. 2 and 3 at Remy Siding.   I think I checked the Canadian Clearing stations some time ago but didn't think the others were still in existence. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Hazel C.

Yes that is super.  Thanks so much!  I would never in a million years have found that.

Hazel C.

Hazel

I will take a look through my notebook as I did some work on 17 CCS  a few months back. I believe that there were some pages of the WD (WO95/343) which had names of casualties but it was not consistenly so.

Edit: That was quick, I found an entry which summarises Jul 1917 forward as not having name details of wounded.

Also found entry for 10 CCS (WO95/342) ,notes only say occasional staff details shown patchily, no note of name wounded though, so I take that as meaning they weren't mentioned in the Diary. When you bear in mind that there were Admission and Discharge Registers to complete it is no surprise that many didn't duplicate that duty in the Diaries !

Edited by sotonmate

Hazel,

10CCS (Abeele, Remy Siding) for 31/7/17 has 1130 ORs admitted and 770 on 1/8/17. Totals of evacuations given by ambulance train numbers and lying or sitting, some evacuated to Mendinghem.

17CCS (Remy Siding) has a similar list of 'totals evacuated by AT' and that 1196 ORs remained at midnight. 1/8/17 is more complicated with arrivals and evacuations by MAC, AT, Car, Lorry. In fact there's two pages of movements of troops coming in and leaving, either from the front but also from and to other CCSs inc. Mendinghem. 576 wounded ORs remained at midnight.

Totals in and out and by who are given on a daily basis but you don't have an end date for his period in NML? Do you have a date he arrived at a GH?

I also have a XIX Corps Medical Arrangements dated 24/7/1917 which shows quite a complex set of evacuations. Bandaghem, Mendinghem, & Dozinghem (Proven group). No 32 CCS at Brandhoek and those in the Remy Siding group.

I think I can see the notice you have mentioned for the XIX Corps wounded. The 15th Divison ADMS refers to 5th Army DMS No. 11/76 which is a table giving 10, 17, 2 Can. & 3 Can. at Remy 'All wounded and sick from XIX Corps forward area'.

The Proven group was receiving head injuries and gas cases from all corps and sick from XIX corps.

TEW

Thanks both of you.  In the mean time I have downloaded the Diaries for CCS 17 but on a quick scan it seems to be basically like the usual Bn. Diaries in that it doesn't make much mention of names.  

I am afraid that I don't know when he was brought in from NML but my grandmother said "days"!!  The only real reason I know it was around then, is because he is listed in the Scotsman in the first list of casualties from 3rd Ypres.  My grandmother didn't know he was wounded until she was contacted to join him at some place or other in Orpingham. I guess it could have been the Canadian Hospital but the British soldiers records were left in Britain it seems. Can't trace them anyway.  If I could establish which CCS he went to, I might be able to trace his onward movements.

I appreciate your help.

Hazel C