Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submitting Identification cases

andrew pugh

Good Evening All

Today I contacted the National Army Museum to see if there was any updates on 3 cases for identification that I presented for adjudication last year.I was told by the N A M that the person that was in post to carry out the Non Commemoration ID cases and the Adjudication of these case is no longer there, and that the Army were no longer going to support this service, probably a funding issue or a change in their commitment to support the identification of British soldiers.Those people who are about to present their cases for identification can forget about doing so their cases will be going nowhere.

I then contacted the C W G C and told them what the N A M had told me about the cases presented to them for identification. They confirmed what I had been told by the N A M. The C W G C are not very pleased about the view that the Army have taken on this, and said that the Army has a responsibility for providing a Non Commemoration and ID case Adjudication service for British Army cases. I stated earlier that the C W G C were not pleased about this situation, I was being polite in fact they are very angry.They stated that all the cases for identification already presented have or will be handed back to the C W G C, so any new cases presented to the C W G C will just pile up, and they will be overwhelmed with these identification cases. 

They advised that anybody who has concerns about their cases should contact their M P and explain their anger about the stance taken by the Army.I was also told to write to

Brigadier M J Gamble,

Head of Army Heritage,

Floor 2,Zone 4

Montgomery House, Queens House,

Aldershot

GU11 2JN.

Your comments and views about this would be most welcome, and I would encourage anybody who is about to present their cases to write to the Brigadier mentioned above to air their views and concerns.This thread has the blessing from the C W G C and will hopefully help alleviate the situation that the Army have put them in.Is the Army starting to Forget!   

Kind Regards 

Andy

Well we have a case in at the moment that we submitted in January, so we're still awaiting a decision which it now appears may never come. This is a ridiculous situation and will have an effect on so many people. Have the CWGC actually made a statement about it that we could refer to? I wouldn't like to go off half-cocked to my M.P. without a reference for them to look at.

Thanks very much for bringing this to light Andy.

Hi Andy

Sorry for the delay in answering you.If I were you I would contact the C W G C and see what action you should take regarding you casualty inquiry. I am sure they will  explain the steps you should take.

Kind Regards

Andy

Andy

I would agree about contacting CWGC. My understanding is that this is a MoD funding issue and certainly not anything suggesting the Army is trying to evade its responsibilities. In due course, it will be resolved. FWIW, cases other than Army ones are progressing as normal.

John

I queried this with @CWGC as a general question and they confirmed it was true and that they "were aware of the situation and are in contact with the Ministry of Defence". My colleague Ian submitted our current non-com case this time, so he will be making contact with them about our case to see what's happening with it. Thanks chaps.

Edited by Andy Wade

Good Afternoon 

I would like to retract a comment I made in the first thread I made. I stated that the C W G C were angry this was a wrong choice of words.They are disappointed with the breakdown in the arrangement that was in place with the Army.

Regards Andy 

I think everyone involved in the submissions of non-comm cases are disappointed. The "contracting out" of the work by the MoD to the NAM has been very successful and a far more thorough system than previous, when the MoD did the work themselves. Then, IIRC, the work was undertaken by a serving soldier seconded to the MoD and it was felt this was not an appropriate use of uniformed staff at a time of budget cuts, etc.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone heard anything regarding this? Just wondering what the situation is at the moment. Cheers.

Andy 

i sent a case direct to David Avery the other week and I asked the question about the post, his reply was 

'As you may be aware, the commission are currently awaiting confirmation of our adjudicating service authority to instigate a post within the National Army Museum, and so a delay should be anticipated.

Alan

A further reply to my letter and my case has been passed onto the National Army Museum for a further review of the case.  

Still quote, what I mentioned in post 9

22 hours ago, Andy Wade said:

Has anyone heard anything regarding this? Just wondering what the situation is at the moment. Cheers.

As the In From the Cold Project understands the situation, all is resolved between the Mod and the NAM which will continue to adjudicate on non-commemorations. NAM is currently undertaking a recruitment process, so it will be a little while until things start to actually roll again. And then there's a backlog for the new starter to catch up on. I suspect we're probably going to be into next year before everything is up to speed.

John

Oh good news then, It's a long enough wait as it is, for the headstone to arrive on a newly identified grave, without this part of the process being held up by what's happened as well. Alan and John, thanks very much for the information.

We think the man we have in for consideration is an open and shut case as we have proof from his Army service records that he died from a tragic accident whilst in service plus his death certificate which states he was serving as a 'Gunner, RGA'. Plus an account of the coroners court outcome.