Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge 2018

Labeline

Does anyone know if anything is happening for the centenary of the Zeebrugge raid next year? My cousin's and I are going in rememberance of our Great Uncle Frederick Scott who was killed at Zeebrugge on 23/4/1918 having been aboard HMS Vindictive. I can't find any information and have not received any response from the Association.

You might get some information from member here Regulus 1, who appears to have an interest in the VINDICTIVE and lives in the vicinity.

I may have a colleague who knows - hold the line ...

Incidentally there is nothing yet showing on here - http://www.1914.org/

9 hours ago, Labeline said:

Thank you. Maybe because it was a failure they won't bother to commemorate it. We will be there in any event.

I would hope that it wasn't forgotten ! Eleven VCs plus many more heroes who didn't win the lottery for the medal !

Edited by sotonmate

Quite! I am waiting for an answer from colleague.

On 15/03/2017 at 00:38, sotonmate said:

I would hope that it wasn't forgotten ! Eleven VCs plus many more heroes who didn't win the lottery for the medal !

My great uncle was one of them.

To give due credit to the VC winners, the Zeebrugge VCs were not awarded by "lottery" but by a ballot of those participating in the action. "Lottery" implies that the names were just drawn out of a hat.

6 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

To give due credit to the VC winners, the Zeebrugge VCs were not awarded by "lottery" but by a ballot of those participating in the action. "Lottery" implies that the names were just drawn out of a hat.

And for those not awarded VC's their records would have been annotated with "In a ballott for VC"

On 20/03/2017 at 12:39, Labeline said:

My great uncle was one of them.

I felt psychic when I wrote about 11 VCs !!!

Bad choice of word "lottery", apologies. Obviously I was only referring to those in the action Mr Horatio.

Edited by sotonmate

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 23:38, sotonmate said:

yep... my grandad was in the ballot and never got one :)

Grandad Thomas VC Ballot Letter.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, that's somewhere I would also like to be next year. My Great-uncle - Alfred Oliver Matthews - was one of those who was killed on HMS Phoebe when she was going alongside HMS North Star to take off survivors. His body was brought back to Bristol and buried with his parents in Greenbank Cemetery.

IMGP6908-2.jpg.16b9671dcf3eda20e364e0f19e8b2fbf.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ecclesiastes 11:1.*

I finally have an answer from a colleague of a colleague of a colleague:

"21-23 Apr 18. A series of events are being planned by the Flanders Govt to mark the centenary of the Zeebrugge Raid. Whilst Dover District Council will mark the centenary, there is still no indication yet as to the level of Defence support required."

*"Cast thy bread upon the waters, for thou shalt find it after many days."

Was in contact with Belgium tourism over the weekend, they have no plans for Zeebrugge raid at the moment, they are to focus on the end of the war, last shot /casualties  at Mons.

Dover  will seemly be doing something connected with ringing the Zeeburgge bell at the Town Hall

dabtoe

• 3 weeks later...

My cousins and I will be there to remember our Great Uncle on the centenary of his death. Hopefully by then something more concrete would have emerged. I can't even get anything out of the Zeebrugge Association.

Edited by Labeline
Punctuation

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I am an ex Royal Marine, newly joined. I will tell you all that I know about the Zeebrugge Raid commemorations for April 2018 in Zeebrugge and what has happened in the past. First off I will say that the Royal Marines Association, City of London Branch have been commemorating the Zeebrugge Raid for many years past. It started in either the 70's or 80's. I myself have gone over with the City of London Branch every April since about 1998, with just a couple of three years missed. The 'feestcomite' of Zeebrugge (The organisers at the Belgian end) have warmly welcomed us over each year and organised the events we attended. The commemorations are over the nearest weekend to the 23rd April and start off on the Friday morning of that weekend with a short service in Dover Cemetery where some of the wounded brought back from the raid and who died afterwards of their wounds are buried. The RMA then go by ferry over to France and by coach to Zeebrugge. On the Saturday morning there is a big Parade and Remembrance Service on the 'Zeedijk' (The Promenade) where the Zeebrugge memorial is sited. RM Buglers are joined by the Belgian Navy Band, a Guard of Honour by the Belgian Marine Infantry and veterans of the Belgian armed forces. Wreaths are laid at the memorial and the Last Post is sounded etc. The RMA then move off in their coach to 'Fisherman's Cross' overlooking the harbour and where the very last remaining section of the original Mole of 1918, which the people of Zeebrugge have preserved for all time, can just be seen. A private ceremony is held and a wreath laid at a memorial plaque to the raid, bought and paid for by the RMA City of London Branch.

On the Sunday morning a service is held in St Donnerskirk Church in Zeebrugge in remembrance, and then wreath laying, the last post etc. takes place in the churchyard where many of the fallen are buried. The RMA and Belgian veterans line up behind a Belgian Band and march through the town to 'Keys' Square for a short service and wreath laying before marching off again to the Town Hall for a private function.

That was normally the format in the past. The 2018 commemorations may be different as the RM Corps are playing things very close to their chest and not saying a lot about it yet! 'Buzz's' (RM slang for rumours) are rife and a warship in attendance over the weekend and the RM Band in attendance have both been mentioned! But nothing has been confirmed! A date of 20th April was mentioned as the start, which may support the dates of 21st to 23rd April mentioned earlier. To those people who wish to attend, the weekend I will advise that Zeebrugge is very short on hotels and they are filling up fast! self catering might be an alternative and booking.com has a small number of these places on their books. There are hotels on their web site in neighbouring towns but taxis can be expensive out there. 

I hope this information helps you guys and ends any speculation about their not being a commemoration etc. etc.

If I find out any more info I will pass it on via this web site. Many thanks. 

The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918 will be the subject of my illustrated talk to the Birmingham Medal Society on the evening of 3 May 2018 commencing at 7.30pm - see our programme for details - non members are made most welcome. http://www.birminghammedalsociety.com/

Philip

I have no connection with the Battle other than my Granddad was in the Merchant Navy in WW1,     I only came to know about it, when trying to discover why our Ferries became "Royal"

and couldn't understand why we were never told about these heroic men in school. 

I believe this may be Ostend, and found this on a tourism site https://www.visitoostende.be/en/ostend-and-great-war-city-full-memories 

with a similar shot.

They were incredibly brave, At Zeebrugge, they even had to land, facing cyclists with guns, Our Admiralty didn't seem to happy , but it stopped Subs, got Convoys and Food for the country through, that sacrifice should be greatly honoured, and I hope there will be something to mark it here also

Good Luck

Rusty

I visited Ostende by sea in 1977 and on the northern side of the breakwater a section of the bow of HMS Vindictive was on display and preserved as a memorial to the second raid.  However, I do not know if the section is still there.